Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Penetrating Oil

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Not heard this one before, but it sure makes sense! ATF is my wonder oil ever since automotive school in the 70's. The head instructor taught auto trans and advanced courses and one of the tips he gave me was when an engine gets a lot miles, especially one that's sat a lot and is using oil but not smoking, before the oil change and it's a quart down put in a qt. of ATF and run it for 500mi. He would run up to 1,000 then change the oil.

My grandfather's old Buick was was a prime example. Had about 80k, but was mostly a garage queen. It started using about a qt. every 1,500mi. So I did the ATF trick and ran it about 500mi(took a while) and after that it would drop a qt 3-4K mi. And because it has additives to soften seals not only does it get the valve seals sealing again it soften the crank seals and loosen up stuck rings.

I have no idea what it would do mixed with synthetic oils though.

As to containers, I've always had a couple of these little Sure Shot rechargeable sprayers in my box. To take this pic I dug the little one out and I've not used it in 20yrs at least and it still had pressure when I pulled the trigger. Of course it had ATF I it the big one I picked up in a garage sale for $5, tag still on it.Homemade Penetrating Oil-image.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 25, 2017), Moby Duck (Apr 25, 2017), Paul Jones (Oct 23, 2016), PJs (Nov 29, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Apr 25, 2017)

Thanks

Good Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Sirius View Post
    If storage is a problem why not convert a few old wd or rp cans with a car valve soldered in. Then it can be stored until it's needed. When needed just pump up the can with a compressor, about 100psi, and you've got you're spray applicator.

I know what I'm doing before I buy any more of the various penetrents i've tried over the years.

Thanks for a good tip.

That's what I do, I store mine in a metal spray can (originally WD-40)! It's just a hand squeeze sprayer which gets a bit tiresome if you have to spray very much but I don't have to worry about evaporation or adding air!

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blakeghx For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 25, 2017)

Thanks

Arcadia's Tools
    I found out a few years how great this concoction really works. I bought a hundred plus year old 25 pound Little Giant power hammer from an old timer. It had been laying in the dirt for 10-15 years. Some of the bolts were rusted off or partially off. All the linkage bolts and nuts looked original(to me) and were really rusted up. It was laying on the linkage side when I dug it out. I mixed up the ATF/Acetone and repeatedly applied for three or four days. After that, the old square nuts turned off with moderate force. I swear by the stuff.
    Last edited by Arcadia; Apr 26, 2017 at 08:59 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arcadia For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 25, 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stale Trooper View Post
    For All of you Mechanic's and Self doer’s out there.
    Penetrating Oil - interesting
    This was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters

Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils
    Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
    bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
    tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
    of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
    This is what they came up with:
    Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
    out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

NOTE: I can't personally vouch for the results, 'cause I haven't read the magazine or tried it yet.
    But I am maybe going to mix some up to try before winter sets in.
    Stale Trooper
    Another home brew I have used is antifreeze. I found an old pair of pliers in the yard that were rusted solid and put them in some used antifreeze I had saved. Next morning they were useable again.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fastserver2u For This Useful Post:

Arcadia (Apr 26, 2017), jjr2001 (Apr 25, 2017), Mononeuron (May 31, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Apr 25, 2017)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I've been trying all-sorts for about forty years and the best I've come up with is 50/50 ATF and Kerosene. I don't know where the Acetone came frome it seemed to crop up about ten years ago.
    I do various testing and one is to use a piece of rusty plate, place drops with a pitot and measure at ten minute intervals over an hour,(beer helps). Then check a few times the next day. The Acetone mix falls short of many mixes due to the Acetone evaporating.
    The Kero mix can have a bit of Aliphatic thinners added, ( about 20% to the mix), for slightly increase speed.
    I wasted money on Kroil once just to see how it compared. I stick to the ATF/Kerosene.

Speaking of rusty stuff heat and a candle for those 'just won't move' nuts and bolts and 40 - 60: 1 water /mollasses for soaking,(degrease first).
    I save old tools and machinery for a hobby and while I am always looking for a magic bullet the above get the job done.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Arcadia (Apr 26, 2017)

Thanks
    dont store anything u want to keep in a plastic milk jug, uv(sunlight) breaks it down and it will crumble whether you touch it or not,, buck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to buck For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Apr 25, 2017)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Thanks for reminding me. It now makes me wonder if it is wise to melt these milk bottles and cast them into machineable blocks. The end product will obviously not last very long.

Thanks

Smile What's ATF?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Not heard this one before, but it sure makes sense! ATF is my wonder oil ever since automotive school in the 70's. The head instructor taught auto trans and advanced courses and one of the tips he gave me was when an engine gets a lot miles, especially one that's sat a lot and is using oil but not smoking, before the oil change and it's a quart down put in a qt. of ATF and run it for 500mi. He would run up to 1,000 then change the oil.

My grandfather's old Buick was was a prime example. Had about 80k, but was mostly a garage queen. It started using about a qt. every 1,500mi. So I did the ATF trick and ran it about 500mi(took a while) and after that it would drop a qt 3-4K mi. And because it has additives to soften seals not only does it get the valve seals sealing again it soften the crank seals and loosen up stuck rings.

I have no idea what it would do mixed with synthetic oils though.

As to containers, I've always had a couple of these little Sure Shot rechargeable sprayers in my box. To take this pic I dug the little one out and I've not used it in 20yrs at least and it still had pressure when I pulled the trigger. Of course it had ATF I it the big one I picked up in a garage sale for $5, tag still on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	14539
    Real Nooby here. I've used vinegar, wd 40 and some stuff an engineer gave me. I once forgot a putty knife for a week- about half of the blade was gone after the vinegar bath. What's ATF?

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Sorry, Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    yes.been using it fir years.going to try molasses on rust.

Thread Information