Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Penetrating Oil

Thanks

Homemade Penetrating Oil

For All of you Mechanic's and Self doer’s out there.
    Penetrating Oil - interesting
    This was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters

Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils
    Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
    bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
    tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
    of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
    This is what they came up with:
    Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
    out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

NOTE: I can't personally vouch for the results, 'cause I haven't read the magazine or tried it yet.
    But I am maybe going to mix some up to try before winter sets in.
    Stale Trooper

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stale Trooper For This Useful Post:

bob wilcox (Nov 27, 2012), Jon (Oct 4, 2019), kbalch (Oct 15, 2012), knifty (Nov 11, 2013), MIGuy (Apr 25, 2017), Moby Duck (Oct 22, 2016), Paul Jones (Aug 19, 2014), Rocconet (Nov 6, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Apr 26, 2017), Tule (Apr 25, 2017)

Thanks

50/50 + Ed's Red

I've read the same thing, and I've been using it for that. The mix of 50/50 ATF/Acetone is part of a version of the great gun cleaner "Ed's Red." You add kerosene, and mineral spirits to the original mix. Simply put, mix up a batch using a quart of each component. Mix the ATF with the kerosene then add the acetone and mineral spirits.

It not only does a great job on guns, but I find it an excellent machine tool, and general tool protecter. Store it in a high density polypropylene gas can - like a Blitz brand. Plastic milk jugs will let the acetone escape by evaporation through the sides of the bottle, so don't use them for storage.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by eth77; Oct 14, 2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: add text

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eth77 For This Useful Post:

bob wilcox (Nov 27, 2012), DIYer (Nov 14, 2013), Moby Duck (Apr 29, 2017), Paul Jones (Aug 19, 2014)

Thanks

ltlvt's Tools
    Man those are awsome numbers. I like PB Blaster so much I have a gallon of it but I think I may try to mix some of my own. I wonder if it works equally well on heat seized bolts like exhaust manifold and exhaust pipes? Thanks a million for the post.

Terry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlvt View Post
    Man those are awsome numbers. I like PB Blaster so much I have a gallon of it but I think I may try to mix some of my own. I wonder if it works equally well on heat seized bolts like exhaust manifold and exhaust pipes? Thanks a million for the post.

Terry
    Many thanks stale trooper for this recipe, i will certainly put it to use

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eth77 View Post
    I've read the same thing, and I've been using it for that. The mix of 50/50 ATF/Acetone is part of a version of the great gun cleaner "Ed's Red." You add kerosene, and mineral spirits to the original mix. Simply put, mix up a batch using a quart of each component. Mix the ATF with the kerosene then add the acetone and mineral spirits.

It not only does a great job on guns, but I find it an excellent machine tool, and general tool protecter. Store it in a high density polypropylene gas can - like a Blitz brand. Plastic milk jugs will let the acetone escape by evaporation through the sides of the bottle, so don't use them for storage.
    Hmmm... what do you suggest storing it in to prevent the evaporation of the acetone?

Thanks
    Use a cup of Horse feed grade molasses in five gallons of water. It penetrates and removes rust with no damage. Sounds weird but it works!

Thanks

Robert Tutsky's Tools
    In the past I have used Marvel's Mystery Oil and it seemed to work okay. Adding heat to the fastener helps the oil work faster. The trany oil and Acetone looks promising and I will have to try this next time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
    Hmmm... what do you suggest storing it in to prevent the evaporation of the acetone?
    I make it 2 quarts at a time. I pour a pint of atf in a bowl then top off the atf bottle with acetone. I then top of the acetone bottle with the remaining atf. I do not have evaporation problems.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pilotbraden For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Aug 18, 2014), Moby Duck (Oct 22, 2016), Paul Jones (Aug 21, 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stale Trooper View Post
    For All of you Mechanic's and Self doer’s out there.

(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
    out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

Stale Trooper
    ATF fluid is a remarkably useful bit of gear! I use it for rifle bore cleaning and a few other jobs! Now I'll be trying it on rusty nuts! Thanks Mate!

Nifty

Thanks

Ed ke6bnl's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by knifty View Post
    ATF fluid is a remarkably useful bit of gear! I use it for rifle bore cleaning and a few other jobs! Now I'll be trying it on rusty nuts! Thanks Mate!

Nifty
    ATF/acetone is my go to penetrant, the other day we decided to take my bike at the last min. on vacation trip. the chain was rusted up and had many links that were solid as one piece. My boy said he would take the bike home and change out the chain a get the bike ready for the trip. I flipped it over and started the ATF/acetone treatment and to his complete surprise the chain was totally free and working great. I have tried all the expesive stuff and kroil and alway go back to the cheapo ATF/Acetone.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed ke6bnl For This Useful Post:

knifty (Nov 11, 2013), WinDancerKnives (Oct 22, 2016)

Thread Information