Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Homemade press

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Hi Tuomas,
    Well done, very nice.
    Regards
    Thank you very much Kess. Im working with dies for bigger diameters. Its little slow to grind them from steel axle... But im going forward.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The problem with the English language is the language itself is an amalgamation of at least a dozen other languages often combining parts of words derived from 2 or more languages. Using only the snippets of their contextual meanings creating a word which could be taken to be a misspelling of a word in either of the parent languages it was derived form while at the same time its meaning in English would be completely foreign.
    Industrial terminology can be just as confusing to persons who speak English only. Particularly to persons who have never set foot outside of the USA, or when 2 persons from different demographics within the USA are discussing something.
    I had several courses under a University Professor whose vocabulary was so demographically influenced it was often next to impossible for some to comprehend what he was talking about, myself included.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 18, 2018), PJs (Jan 18, 2018)

Thanks

kess's Tools
    Perhaps you can use cast iron pulleys for less grinding, but it is only a thought on my mind and I haven't try it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuomas View Post
    Thank you very much from the info! I'm slowly learning these english terms. There's no good dictionary about industrial terms, so its sometimes little frustrating to explain something what could be sayed with one word. But you just don't know it. ��
    There does not seem to be industrial dictionaries, in any principle languages, especially translation-wise. Larger dictionaries have many of the terms, but unknown terms are kind of hard to look up. Over the years, I've collected engineering and related textbooks on the used market. When it comes to things like machine work, the old ones are extra helpful.
    Everywhere, students drop classes, or recover expenses selling off their books, with two big advantages. The 'dictionary' is built into the subject; naturally grouped with related terms, and written in a convenient language!
    Online there are many sources, but I'm not knowledgeable on publications other than English...But if our Navy and Army have them for machinists, I'd be positive others do as well.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Perhaps you can use cast iron pulleys for less grinding, but it is only a thought on my mind and I haven't try it.
    Yeah. I could also use lathe at my workplace, but it seems that it can be done with angle grinder too. I wanted to make this version with limited tools.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 19, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    There does not seem to be industrial dictionaries, in any principle languages, especially translation-wise. Larger dictionaries have many of the terms, but unknown terms are kind of hard to look up. Over the years, I've collected engineering and related textbooks on the used market. When it comes to things like machine work, the old ones are extra helpful.
    Everywhere, students drop classes, or recover expenses selling off their books, with two big advantages. The 'dictionary' is built into the subject; naturally grouped with related terms, and written in a convenient language!
    Online there are many sources, but I'm not knowledgeable on publications other than English...But if our Navy and Army have them for machinists, I'd be positive others do as well.
    Yeah. There's so many different names for the same tool in finnish. That first problem when you try to translate, is to find right finnish names. Here upper die is "blade" lower die is "facer"... Learning by reading forum posts seems to be best option. Imo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 20, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    There is at least 1 book that I know of by Author(s): Michael Holloway, Chikezie Nwaoha Titled (Dictionary of Industrial Terms0 " Print ISBN: 9781118344576"
    In it there are over 15,000 entries are all alphabetically arranged and include special features to encourage usage and understanding. They are supplemented by hundreds of figures and tables that clearly demonstrate the principles & concepts behind important process control, instrumentation, reliability, machinery, asset management, lubrication, corrosion, and much much more.
    However If I remember correctly they want something like $275.00 for it There is a web page where it can be downloaded Dictionary of Industrial Terms - Holloway - Wiley Online Library
    But it requires creating a user name and sign in jargon so I haven't done that to see if it is a free download or a pay site
    The problem again is even with the multitude of entries descriptions, and illustrations I doubt it it would be possible to cover every facet of every term used by persons scattered around the globe. let alone the ability to translate each name or term into the many languages or slang names of a given demographic.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 19, 2018), Tuomas (Jan 19, 2018)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Great video and nicely made tooling. Lots of great ideas I want to make to use on my press.Thank you for sharing
    The Home Engineer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jan 20, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Great video and nicely made tooling. Lots of great ideas I want to make to use on my press.Thank you for sharing
    The Home Engineer
    Thank you for checking it out. Glad if you find it usefull.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Made a simple improvement from scrap metal that i had.

Latch that holds the upper die. Little more "professional" looking than using clamp.

Because latch works like a hinge, it works even that i have used 10-12mm thick plates when i made my die set.

Homemade press-3.jpg

Homemade press-4.jpg

Homemade press-1.jpg

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 5, 2018), PJs (Mar 5, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 6, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Mar 5, 2018)

Thread Information