Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Homemade toolbox side box

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools

Homemade toolbox side box

In the thread about shop organizing I mentioned one my first major tool organization projects in '83. As a line mech I realized my rollaway was being eaten up by air tools and test equipment. For me top boxes never worked as the top of my rollaway was also often my only workbench. So to address the air tools/test equipement I decided to build what I call a clam shell box for the left end of the rollaway so everything could hang instead. I had the main body of each side broke with the tops and bottoms separate and welded them in. The whole thing is 14ga. And rather than pegboard I just used 3/4" plywood painted and used nails with rubber vac hose as the hangers because I knew where everything was going to go anyway. The main box is an old Waterloo with a SnapOn side box and two other boxes I fabbed underneath and behind to make it all usable. The first pic also demonstrates why I don't have any fixed benches because even though that stuff on top is all stuff I can't toss, I don't have a use or place for it yet
    Homemade toolbox side box-image.jpgHomemade toolbox side box-image.jpgHomemade toolbox side box-image.jpgHomemade toolbox side box-image.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jun 6, 2016), high-side (Aug 23, 2019), lazarus (Jun 11, 2016), Paul Jones (Jun 10, 2016), pennswoodsed (Jun 11, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jun 9, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Ahh the woes of the flat surface squatters. I have at least 5 top boxes and I might as well remove the fold down tops from them as none can be closed due to the flat surface squatters. Sometimes I wish they would just hitch up a wagon and roll away because not only do flat surfaces possess the most powerful materials attraction force in the known universe it seems that every flat surfaces is a door into a parallel universe. if you lay something on one never take your eyes off of it of it will vanish never to return until the day you have completely forgotten it existed or you either made or bought a replacement for it

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Jun 6, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jun 9, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Ahh the woes of the flat surface squatters. I have at least 5 top boxes and I might as well remove the fold down tops from them as none can be closed due to the flat surface squatters. Sometimes I wish they would just hitch up a wagon and roll away because not only do flat surfaces possess the most powerful materials attraction force in the known universe it seems that every flat surfaces is a door into a parallel universe. if you lay something on one never take your eyes off of it of it will vanish never to return until the day you have completely forgotten it existed or you either made or bought a replacement for it
    LOL! ain't that the truth!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks C-Bag! We've added your Clam Shell Box to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: C-Bag's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 23, 2021 at 01:25 AM.

Thread Information