Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Honda CRV belt tension pulley tool.

Thanks

handycrowd's Tools

Honda CRV belt tension pulley tool.

Removing the long serpentine belt on the Honday CRV is a little tricky as first the tension must be removed and the tensioner is waaay down on the side of the engine, very close to the inner wing. In other words there is not a lot of room down there.

Rather than buy the special Honda tool, (because we are not that kind of guy are we?) I figured that it would be simple enough to cut down a spare 14mm socket and weld it onto a metal bar, 600mm (2') of 13mm (half inch) re-bar in this case.

Dress up and shape the welds afterwards and it works a dream. The re-bar is also easy enough to bend if you need to put a small crank in it to reach this very awkward bolt.

Honda CRV belt tension pulley tool.-honda-crv-belt-tensioner-tool.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If I'm not making stuff I am writing about making stuff and sometimes I get paid to make stuff. Lovely!

Most days you can find me pottering about at handycrowd.com, where the kettle is always on...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handycrowd For This Useful Post:

DIYer (May 6, 2014), kbalch (May 6, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanks handycrowd! I've added your Belt Tension Pulley Tool to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: handycrowd's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

handycrowd (May 6, 2014)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    After decades of Toyotas (and a few Mercedes), I'm venturing into a Honda build. This could be useful down the road.

Thanks

handycrowd's Tools

Serpentine belts on the Honda CRV get easy with practice!

Quote Originally Posted by DIYer View Post
    After decades of Toyotas (and a few Mercedes), I'm venturing into a Honda build. This could be useful down the road.
    Sure will DIYer! I've only had this ten year old CRV a year and I've had occasion to take the belt off several times already. Replacing the belt when I bought it, working on the air conditioning pump and replacing the tensioner pulley, mostly to try and fix a troublesome noise at tickover.

I was even brave enough to start the motor with this tool in place and with the engine ticking over I eased ever so slightly on the tensioner pulley and bingo the noise disappeared, so it is definitely something that the belt drives and there is only the water pump left.....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If I'm not making stuff I am writing about making stuff and sometimes I get paid to make stuff. Lovely!

Most days you can find me pottering about at handycrowd.com, where the kettle is always on...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to handycrowd For This Useful Post:

DIYer (May 8, 2014)

Thread Information