Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to build moving/lifting devices to save my back?

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Thank you Jon, Mr Wally Wallington was the bloke I was thinking of. I know why Stonehenge was built still unsure as to the how however.
    Frank S you have pretty much summed it up. The human body and mind can adapt to just about anything, the trick seems to be the ability to stay alive long enough to learn that we are not indestructible. Back when I was eighteen, eight foot and bulletproof I could do anything. Now I like to stop for a cuppa and a ponder first!
    I'm of the opinion that a pill can help sometimes and think I know enough to judge when to take one but I will never become reliant on one and a surgeon is just another tradesman who gets to bury his mistakes, there are good and there are not so good and the knife is a last resort. That said there are occasions when a simple operation can transform a life .
    Here's to the day that ergonomics are taught from a primary school level.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    The first three mechanic shops I worked in I was the only mechanic. And that taught me early on how to be strategic in how to lift and move heavy things. I also came to the realization there would not be anybody find me for a while if I did get hurt. So it just became how I approached things and it was lucky because later it saved me from hurting myself bad. Meanwhile my brother who's two years younger has had his neck fused, his lower back fused and rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. He is in constant pain and basically disabled. I am scared to death of doc's and his exoerience reinforced that. But last year my wife who's 5yrs younger had hip replacement and is doing great, better than before.

Two of the best back savers in my shop are a 2ton folding HFT engine hoist and a 1,000lb lift table. I've had the hoist/cherry picker for 10yrs and it mostly is in storage out in my shed. But it has saved my bacon so many times I can't count. The lift table I wish I would have bought years ago too. I mostly use it as a welding/fab table but it's proved it worth so many times I can't figure out why I waited so long.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by C-Bag; May 26, 2017 at 02:36 PM.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    There is also the facet of mental discipline:

-I'll just lift it like this once, I'm in a hurry.
    -If I carry twice the weight per trip, I can finish this task in half the time.
    -I'm carrying a heavy weight, but I need to open this door, so I'll lean against the wall and remove one hand from the load, just for a second.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There is also the facet of mental discipline:

-I'll just lift it like this once, I'm in a hurry.
    -If I carry twice the weight per trip, I can finish this task in half the time.
    -I'm carrying a heavy weight, but I need to open this door, so I'll lean against the wall and remove one hand from the load, just for a second.
    It only takes that single second. I had already modified half a dozen to the D 10 blades and had always made the underneath cuts first that way when I did the final cuts parts simply fell away from me. Except that blade had numerous broken welds hidden by paint it hit me on my rt shoulder and fortunately with enough force to knock me out from under it had I been just a tiny bit further underneath I could have just as easily been trapped under it very seriously injured..
    I've had other broken bones when I was a youngster they always healed after being properly set in place. However a compression fracture to a vertebra can be a horse of a different color those bones are not as thick and hard as say a thy bone they are more porous, there is hardly any way to actually set one back to its original shape about the only thing that can be done is to isolate or limit the movement as much as possible and hope for the best or go the fusion route which traps a disk between to vertebra so nothing can move almost exactly same process to repair a herniated disk the blown out tissue must be excised then the adjacent vertebra are fused, which almost always results in sensitive nerves being involved
    Just in the past very few years a new process has been approved which was discovered had been used centuries ago.Where a small incision is made some of the effected tissue is removed then the area is packed with a substance to limit movement until natural healing could take effect. Of course today we have lasers to pin point damaged areas and excise the tissue without even making an incision we can grow some human tissues in cultures or right in the hosts own body then relocate those tissues to other areas Perhaps one day we may understand a way to transform bone to Adamantium and trick our cells to instant regeneration But I'm not holding my breath
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I've always envied Wolverine!

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Forgot to mention - this is why I like rgsparber's Gas Grill Back saver so much. It conquers two of the biases that cause back injuries:

-You really only have to awkwardly wiggle those propane tanks for 6 inches or so, so you're inclined to think it's not a big deal.
    -You usually have to install the new tank immediately, when the grill is already going, to keep your food cooking. Just this once, of course!

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    "Perhaps one day we may understand a way to transform bone to Adamantium and trick our cells to instant regeneration But I'm not holding my breath"

Yeah, I'm waiting for those crazy wonderful "nanites" I keep reading about on my sci fi books.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information