Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to make a bamboo pear picker - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Bamboo. Mother natures tubing. What a cool video, and a very skillful little lady.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,795 Times in 11,326 Posts
    This really is pleasant to watch, and, again, I'm not exactly the world's biggest bamboo furniture aficionado.

It almost has a hypnotic effect, like watching up-close machining videos. Especially note how the aesthetic of the video itself matches the aesthetic of the furniture. Very beautiful, and really at or very close to the cutting edge of how-to video production these days.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 29, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    This really is pleasant to watch, and, again, I'm not exactly the world's biggest bamboo furniture aficionado.

It almost has a hypnotic effect, like watching up-close machining videos. Especially note how the aesthetic of the video itself matches the aesthetic of the furniture. Very beautiful, and really at or very close to the cutting edge of how-to video production these days.
    Exactly, and well said Jon!! It's also a perfect example of kami-no-michi (Shintō) and her videography is no wonder why she has 845K subs (+1) in a year!

Ishitani is another guy with more modern tools but old world craftsmanship and videography are superb!
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Interesting. However, I would love to see this style of videography applied to building things from dead rocks instead of dead trees.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Making a Japanese bamboo whisk. According to the video, this guy can make over 100 different types of whisk. 4:03 video:

For an American, who has somehow managed to struggle through life with only a few types of whisk, this is like discovering Japanese Kit-Kat flavors:

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

oldcaptainrusty (Oct 9, 2018), PJs (Oct 14, 2018), ranald (Oct 10, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 9, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A 100 different types of whisks 50 Kit-Kat flavors is one reason you will never find me living in Japan. Every time I am forced to go to the super market there seems to be a new this or that and new flavors of Coke Pepsi Mtn Dew DR Pepper Orange crush etc etc. I mean come on how many way is there to make dugar infested carbonated soft drinks when none are any good for you but I still want my Pepsi now and a gain.
    But whisks? take 2 forks hold them back to back or wrap a rubber band around them and your done Need more than that use the electric or hand crank mixer.
    I stopped shaving years ago because buying a razor became too confusing.
    The amount of different tooth brushes are just as bad but one has to brush their teeth. It seems every time I think about replacing mine there is a whole isle of the buggers to choose from I get so confused at the choices that I decide my old tooth brush will make a few more strokes in my mouth.
    What ever happened to the simpler times when we didn't know we needed 100 different whisks or flavor soda or Kit-Kat to live from day to day.
    On a lighter note the guy's expert nimbleness and finite delicate hand control and the amount of care he puts into making his Whisks is amassing. I'd require a 1000 stitches in my fingers before finishing the first one, which would have to be tossed in the trash from all the blood on it.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Making a Japanese bamboo whisk. According to the video, this guy can make over 100 different types of whisk. 4:03 video:

For an American, who has somehow managed to struggle through life with only a few types of whisk, this is like discovering Japanese Kit-Kat flavors:

One is plenty but some idiot thinks we need 20 flavours of a biscuit & then has to reintroduce the old one or two 'cause no keeps buyinh the new flavours. same with icecream, chocolate etc.guess they have to show they are doing something to improve sales & warrent their jobs existance.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Don't get me started on Ice cream. when it comes to that delectable treat I have probably the narrowest flavor opinion of anyone on the planet.
    As a kid we always looked forward to the rare Sunday afternoon when the folks would decide to make homemade ice cream . It was always made with hand crushed vanilla beans up until my grandmother passed away in 1965 She might once in a while add fine crushed pecans or black walnuts, but mostly they were left on the side in a dish we could add them if we wanted the same with scooping it over cake or any assorted toppings, after that one of my aunts or my mother would mix it then us kids turned the crank to freeze it. My aunts would always make up some horrible tasting flavor (to me that is) They would mix everything right into the mix. Ice cream on Sunday's became a non event for me I wouldn't even take my turn on the crank for those flavored disasters. Until one day my Mother decided we were going to have something new She mixed up a batch of lime sherbert from some recipe she found hand written in an old cook book. That has been my only choice of a frozen treat ever since. I might choke down a scoop of vanilla ice cream once in a while, Might that is. Mostly if I visit an ice cream parlor or shop if they don't have lime sherbert I'll buy the wife what ever flavor she wants but will exit without purchasing anything for myself.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Don't get me started on Ice cream. when it comes to that delectable treat I have probably the narrowest flavor opinion of anyone on the planet.
    As a kid we always looked forward to the rare Sunday afternoon when the folks would decide to make homemade ice cream . It was always made with hand crushed vanilla beans up until my grandmother passed away in 1965 She might once in a while add fine crushed pecans or black walnuts, but mostly they were left on the side in a dish we could add them if we wanted the same with scooping it over cake or any assorted toppings, after that one of my aunts or my mother would mix it then us kids turned the crank to freeze it. My aunts would always make up some horrible tasting flavor (to me that is) They would mix everything right into the mix. Ice cream on Sunday's became a non event for me I wouldn't even take my turn on the crank for those flavored disasters. Until one day my Mother decided we were going to have something new She mixed up a batch of lime sherbert from some recipe she found hand written in an old cook book. That has been my only choice of a frozen treat ever since. I might choke down a scoop of vanilla ice cream once in a while, Might that is. Mostly if I visit an ice cream parlor or shop if they don't have lime sherbert I'll buy the wife what ever flavor she wants but will exit without purchasing anything for myself.
    I can't beat a quality vanilla or rum & raisin icecream ( real ice cream not the chemical concoction).

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Adjustable stool carved from single block of wood. 3:11 video:

The wood carved folding stool thing is kinda cool, but it's not exactly going to the top of my project list; not really my thing. What I really like is this video production style, and how it matches others in this thread. I think it's a step up from a Western equivalent, like the Primitive Technology channel.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 3, 2019), baja (Feb 3, 2019), high-side (Feb 4, 2019), Moby Duck (Feb 2, 2019), PJs (Feb 2, 2019), ranald (Feb 2, 2019), rlm98253 (Feb 2, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 2, 2019), Steved53 (Feb 3, 2019), Tonyg (Feb 3, 2019), wolfpaak (Feb 3, 2019)

Thread Information