Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to make a bamboo pear picker - GIF

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Sep 13, 2018), Clockguy (Sep 14, 2018), Frank S (Sep 14, 2018), Moby Duck (Sep 13, 2018), PJs (Sep 13, 2018), ranald (Sep 28, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 13, 2018), rossbotics (Sep 16, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 13, 2018), Tonyg (Sep 28, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 11, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Always a pleasure to see Japanese hand craft and simplicity of design with simple tools!

Thanks Jon!

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Not just the Japanese, but Oriental people in general for 1000's of years have made some of the finest simplistic tools to serve them in their everyday lives.
    My wife has a pair of miniature Tiki candle holders we brought back from Pago Pago American Somoa when the Company I was with in Kuwait sent us there in early 2010 after the devastating Tsunami of 2009 to access the possibility of making some prefab structures we planned to construct and ship there as reassembled knock down panels in containers
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Great video, I love seeing things like this being made. Why didn’t I think of this?
    If anyone is thinking of making one of these I suggest that you leave the spikes on the top end rather than trimming them off. You can gather smaller fruit like plums between the spikes and push or twist them off into the basket. Give it a try and if it doesn’t work for you you can always cut them off afterwards. Commercial plastic ones available here usually have the spikes.
    Last edited by Moby Duck; Sep 15, 2018 at 08:52 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 16, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 11, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    This year our pear tree only produced much smaller than normal sized pears. I blame this on my forgetting to feed the roots and we had a drier than average spring and summer. Today I decided to pull a few of the small pears so since I didn't have any bamboo to make one of those nice gadgets I just used a garden rake to pull the pears off the tree. HARD HAT required LOL
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 16, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,842 Times in 11,338 Posts
    Same creator, this time bamboo furniture. 6:45 video:

I have no desire to make bamboo furniture, but this video is very compelling to watch. The production values are so high here, it's hard to believe that this is just a person making videos on YouTube.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Sep 29, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Sep 28, 2018), PJs (Sep 29, 2018), ranald (Sep 28, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 28, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 11, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Many years ago, in my woodcarving period, I ran across what looked like a useful tool for removing large chunks of wood quickly. It looked similar to this...

https://www.amazon.com/Hatchet-Bambo...bamboo+hatchet

Japanese, it was scary sharp and sharpened on only one side so it could cut flat up against a surface. I used it a lot and still find occasions where it's the tool of choice.

It was only a year or so ago that I discovered it was really a bamboo hatchet. (It hadn't been advertised as such when I bought it.) After watching the video I can appreciate the utility of its many nuance design features that make it appear so dissimilar to the western hatchet design.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 28, 2018), PJs (Sep 29, 2018), ranald (Sep 28, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 11, 2018)

Thanks
    I could watch that all day.........

14. The Following User Says Thank You to evilwrench For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 29, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I've collect a few cane knives over the years; all slightly different & better at one job than another. That looks like one very sharp knife & Japanese. In post war period if something was made in Japan, it was considered junk & any junk must have been made in japan: all the good stuff they kept for themselves=LOL.
    I have only done limited work with bambusa species and can appreciate that persons skill & sharpness/appropriateness of the tools employed.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Great video, I love seeing things like this being made. Why didn’t I think of this?
    If anyone is thinking of making one of these I suggest that you leave the spikes on the top end rather than trimming them off. You can gather smaller fruit like plums between the spikes and push or twist them off into the basket. Give it a try and if it doesn’t work for you you can always cut them off afterwards. Commercial plastic ones available here usually have the spikes.
    The spikes are great for the twisting of fruit (like the video with the pears): we only learn that at Horticulture schools or from our parents where folk from all round the world have been doing it for centuries. They are really good for mangoes=dont want one of those to get bruised or scone your noggin.
    a couple of decades back, I was trying to source bags( I looked for years=no internet then) for a similar comercial mango fruit picking tool (I thought i invented) when finally fiskars released one here. Oh well on to the next idea.

Thread Information