Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: How to make ping-pong balls - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

How to make ping-pong balls - GIF

How to make ping pong balls. I did not think it would involve this many steps.

Previously:

Making steel balls for large bearings - GIF
    How footballs are made GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 14, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 5, 2018)

Thanks
    I dont want to work there....

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    How many ping pong balls does it take to float a sunken boat?
    I think I remember seeing that on mythbusters once
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    I reckon it depends on the boat and the water it's in and the bottom it's stuck in....probably temp also....and depth. why do you have a sunken boat? most boats are self planing, tie a cable on it and pull, most of the tyme it will come up. I had a buddy that did that for insurance companys.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Personally I don't own a boat to me they are nothing more than a temporary hole in the water that you pour money into.
    Yes some perhaps many salvaging operations can be as simple as pulling a boat to the surface by allowing it to create its own lift due to hull design and forward movement,
    The making of the ping pong balls just reminded me of the show I once saw where they tried several times to raise a sunken boat before they were successful.
    Not all boats can be raised by the cable and tow method small pleasure craft or bass boats and jon boats sure but a cabin cruiser or just about any sail boat and all larger craft would require a tremendously powerful tug capable of attaining a good amount of headway. Even on small craft the sea cocks would have to be open and the boat would have to be towed sufficiently long enough for enough water to be evacuated before it could gain sufficient buoyancy to remain afloat long enough to be boarded and have the hull sealed. Temporary patches to a damaged hull if this was the reason for it sinking might be possible to install while the boat were on the bottom. If it were swamped due to a storm then it could be resting upright on its side or completely turreted. Or if it were resting near a drop off shelf or in a boulder strewn bottom there may not be enough area to pull it far enough for it to begin planing, that is why far more require the brute force of a barge crane or buoyancy bags even those fail sometimes if water cannot be displaced from within the cavities of the boat.
    Maybe one might want to pump beach balls or inflate huge balloon type bags into the cavities then finish off with ever smaller balls until finally using ping pong balls to achieve at least neutral buoyancy.

Thanks
    I think his max was about 40' boats. I saw that show too, long ago.most use air bladders now days. FYI boats are not just a hole in the water to pour money into.some are land yachts that never leave the trailer....I made a good living working on boats.mostly go fast boats, cigg,fountain, douglass skater,apatche and a few not so go fast too. when your on the other end of the hole it aint bad!!!ESPECIALY WHEN IT'S A 3/4 MILLION PLAY TOY..

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    "" land yachts that never leave the trailer""
    yep my younger sister's ex husband put them in debt to the tune of $90k for a bass boat he just had to have then she and he had to work overtime 2 jobs and weekends to stave off the repo man for many years by the time he could actually afford to get back into bass fishing he thought he had to have a new boat .
    I'll give you one guess why he is an ex.

Thanks
    thats too bad,she should of found the x a few years sooner.... it's 2 row's down and 3 spaces over. ...funny how so many people just cant seem to find it in time...and when they do..they freeze up... till they get rebooted in the ass. or worse.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information