Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how to make a router dovetail guide

Thanks
    In addition to all the valid comments above, keep in mind that there is a trade-off between ease of use and flexibility. I have a Leigh jig that can cut dovetails that can look close to hand-cut, but I have to get out the manual and study up on it for at least a half hour every time I use it. Anything homemade will likely be easy to use but might not be as flexible as you'd like. If you're willing to go with the solid, accurate but easy to use type, look for a used Porter Cable jig which can usually be had for a fairly reasonable price. OR learn to do 'em by hand. That's what I do for a small project like a blanket chest, reserving the jig for the chest of drawers!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    There is a YouTube video that might be of some help:
    in which Paul Sellers shows how to make a dovetail template that will help ensure accuracy. It is 9 minutes 9 seconds long.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I have to agree with other posters on this. Spend the money and buy a real dove tail jig. You won't be sorry. I tried to make one years ago and it turned out pretty good. But it lacked in quality. It all depends on what and how much you are going to use it.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I agree with the others, spend the money and buy one. If its only going to be used a few times, you may want to build one, but you won't be sorry buying a dovetail jig. Its definitely worth the money.

Thanks
    I've also been moving away from dovetail joints in favor of box joints. But then I have been on a box building jig for a few months now and I like the way they look when finished... I am continually having trouble with my guide bearings on my jig and the tear out is pretty bad on most cuts... I know, buy a new bit/bearing, use better wood, etc.. Table saw is giving me clean straight joints and that is what I am after...

Thanks

dovetails

Quote Originally Posted by joliverio1923 View Post
    I have a router and I want to make a dovetail guide
    I have a Rockler jig, but have not been able to make a successful dovetail yet. Have pretty much given up. Have had no luck with a homade box joint jig either.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information