Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How not to make things

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim-123 View Post
    Ну это можно назвать проще.
    "Стеклянный половой орган дураку"
    Not exactly sure what we have here, beyond that we do have it, and it is here.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 1, 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not exactly sure what we have here, beyond that we do have it, and it is here.

ПоYes. In Russian it sounds a little different.
    Try differently. Not smart person glass member is not needed.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Slim-123; Mar 31, 2019 at 03:07 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim-123 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 31, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 1, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim-123 View Post
    Ну это можно назвать проще.
    "Стеклянный половой орган дураку"
    Not a term familiar here, but the translation worked fine. And I guessed proper [Belarusian] language in one shot!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Agreed 100% on vids of that nature in the Homemade Tools main subforum, and in fact we'll be tightening things up a little bit there soon.
    I still haven't figured out why our non-tech discussions (Tool Talk and such) are such high quality. Our technical discussions are very high quality, but a small number of other tech forums have that same dynamic. But then you go in many of their non-tech sections, and everyone's arguing about the things that the people on their televisions said. In 10 years, Online Community Technical and Non-Technical Discussion Dynamics will likely be a common doctoral dissertation topic. These days, we're largely just winging it.
    Easy. It's very clear by the grade of presentations, even stolen examples.
    A singularly talented, thoughtful, experienced group, with broad interests and numerous self-assigned tasks contributes excellent build & tech material. Each strive to preserve their established identity, yet superiority and indulgence do not occur. Evidently respect and admiration reign, contrary to what governments regularly attempt.

It furthers, whence identical community logs into and responds for non-tech discussions.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Couldn't think of a better title for this video. Trust me you don't want to watch it
    You are right. My only question is WHY! Don't need to be a rocket scientist to see this fail coming.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 11thhourfabrication For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 1, 2019)

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Well, I watched enough of his video and rolled through the comments... I can explain why he's doing this.... it's all about getting views and advertising money. When you watch this video on Youtube, there is some sort of advertising either at the beginning or during the video... every view that watches that ad brings money to Youtube, which trickles down to the video's owner.
    The more views, the more income.
    He has 10 million views total on Youtube, and 109k subscribers.
    There is a decent chance that he has made enough income on youtube to more than finance these "stoopid" shenanigans.... I've determined that most of the folks that spend a lot of their time watching youtube mostly like the stupid videos.... and this guy is playing to that audience very well, further increasing his subscribers, increasing his views, and therefore increasing his income.
    RyanToysReview is the highest grossing Youtube channel, along with some of their spinoffs, and they've made over $11 million dollars just last year.... the money is there if you have enough viewers and subscribers.
    Youtube recently changed their minimum requirements for views and subscribers, so folks are doing basically anything they can to ensure their audience keeps watching, even if it is "stupid" content.
    He knew very well what was going to happen with those wheel spacers.... I "suspect" he is making fun of the warranty on those ball joints more than anything.

So... he's not stupid... quite smart to play to the audience, and collect the revenue, which further pays for more toys and more videos.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 31, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 1, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 1, 2019)

Thanks
    A sad day indeed when such a beautiful machine gets destroyed by ignorance and destructive behavior proving nothing in particular

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to procv For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 1, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 1, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomsbyKent View Post
    Well, I watched enough of his video and rolled through the comments... I can explain why he's doing this.... it's all about getting views and advertising money. When you watch this video on Youtube, there is some sort of advertising either at the beginning or during the video... every view that watches that ad brings money to Youtube, which trickles down to the video's owner.
    The more views, the more income.
    He has 10 million views total on Youtube, and 109k subscribers.
    There is a decent chance that he has made enough income on youtube to more than finance these "stoopid" shenanigans.... I've determined that most of the folks that spend a lot of their time watching youtube mostly like the stupid videos.... and this guy is playing to that audience very well, further increasing his subscribers, increasing his views, and therefore increasing his income.
    RyanToysReview is the highest grossing Youtube channel, along with some of their spinoffs, and they've made over $11 million dollars just last year.... the money is there if you have enough viewers and subscribers.
    Youtube recently changed their minimum requirements for views and subscribers, so folks are doing basically anything they can to ensure their audience keeps watching, even if it is "stupid" content.
    He knew very well what was going to happen with those wheel spacers.... I "suspect" he is making fun of the warranty on those ball joints more than anything.

So... he's not stupid... quite smart to play to the audience, and collect the revenue, which further pays for more toys and more videos.
    Just my personal view but I'd much rather see accidental (not set up) stupidity or I can rewatch the three stooges.At least they had some real moral subtle warnings behind lots of their tom foolery.
    Last edited by ranald; Apr 1, 2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: grammer

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm probably hobbling myself; but likelihood I'd subvert my demeanor for dollars is zero. So call me stupid. Dollars don't always signify compensation.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jun 6, 2019)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    My dad went to a tractor pull and he described one young "kid" who came out in a fancy truck with lots of chrome underneath, fancy paint and expensive doodads on it to make his pull, but he first made three laps around the arena with the tires spinning and making a huge dirt cloud inside the building, where everyone else before had just pulled out, hooked up and then made their pull. The guy hooked up, revved it up, dumped the clutch and promptly blew a U joint leaving him dead in the water right there. They sent out an old POS John Deere, beat-up and covered with soot, oil, grease and mud to tow him out of the arena. The guy driving the Johnny towed him slowly around the arena three times for everyone to get a good look, with him sitting on the hood looking really dejected.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jun 6, 2019)

Thread Information