Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I think this is the right forum

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Here is what Metalmuncher is talking about Just make a fixture that would mount to the table or in the vice choose the horizontal hole for the gauge of wire you desired you cold set the mill to cut as much or as little from the side of the wire you wanted
    I think this is the right forum-wire-milling-guide.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

DonRecardo's Tools
    Thanks everyone for your input , there are a lot of good ideas there
    for me to try out

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Here is what Metalmuncher is talking about Just make a fixture that would mount to the table or in the vice choose the horizontal hole for the gauge of wire you desired you cold set the mill to cut as much or as little from the side of the wire you wanted
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire milling guide.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	19421
    That's a nice design, Frank. What program do you use to make 3D drawings like that? I use TurboCAD, and have done a little 3D on it, but there's a rather steep learning curve to wrap my head around it for more than just occassional use. I learned the old top, front, and right side method of 2D paper drafting decades ago in HS shop, and still adhere to that style today for my own drawings. But I know there are many 3D apps out there now. Hopefully some are affordable by now.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Metalmuncher I have been using Solidworks just about since it first came on the scene Started in 99 with version 98 spent enough money on it over they years to have paid for a nice truck. You can buy a Teacher's or student version for reasonable but have to deal with expiration code. I could up date from my 2013 version to 2017 but since I dropped the yearly up grades a long time ago it would be like buying new.
    SO as long as my 2013 version does what I need I'll stick with it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Metalmuncher (Sep 5, 2017), Paul Jones (Sep 6, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Metalmuncher I have been using Solidworks just about since it first came on the scene Started in 99 with version 98 spent enough money on it over they years to have paid for a nice truck. You can buy a Teacher's or student version for reasonable but have to deal with expiration code. I could up date from my 2013 version to 2017 but since I dropped the yearly up grades a long time ago it would be like buying new.
    SO as long as my 2013 version does what I need I'll stick with it.
    Thanks! I run an older version of TurboCAD myself. These tools are crazy expensive for the hobbyist, and I can't justify paying to upgrade yearly. I wish they would find a way to sell to us at more reasonable prices, since we aren't using them to make money. I've bought 2 versions of TurboCAD over the years, both on eBay, as they became more affordable due to being outdated versions (about $200 instead of $400). I see eBay has the student versions, but not the full Standard 3D CAD version. And on the Solidworks website, they don't even post the prices. They have a "request quote" link. I've learned to normally run away screaming from any such website who doesn't want to scare off potential customers by showing their insane product prices.

One of our close family friends has a daughter in college studying architecture, so I am sure she could help me get a student copy, if she doesn't already have one. Actually, the Student Edition 2017-2018 w/Training Bundle seems like an excellent package for $129. It even includes the Premium Version of Solidworks 3D. But it only runs for a year and then expires. If I jumped into this I would need to spend a major portion of my time studying to try to learn as much as possible within that time frame. Then I would probably want to invest in a license that doesn't expire. So (deep breath) how much does the Standard Version sell for?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I'm not sure any more but I'd make a guess in the $6000.00 range
    And buying an older version off Ebay might not come with a real activation key then you are stuck with something that either won't function or will run for a while and the first time you forget ant allow it to try and up grade it will stop working altogether or you get a nice little note that you may have been the victim of piracy would you like top purchase bla bla bla.
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 5, 2017 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    One more thing in buying older versions from anyone ask them to provide you with either documented proof of a valid re-seller's license or multi user activation then you could contact Dassault systems to check out their credentials

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    You could try Sketchup Make which will produce the same thing, its free and a small learning curve and is now the only cad I use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thanks olderdan,

I will have to check out Sketchup Make. I have been using TurboCAD since 1995 with version 3 for Windows 95 and made several upgrades over the years. I now have the most current version TurboCAD Deluxe 2017 running on Windows 10 but I do not have the more expensive professional version with much better 3D capabilities. The TurboCAD Deluxe 2017 is very good at 2D CAD but not so much in 3D CAD (it can do it but most of the fast and advanced features are in the expensive professional version). You do need a good graphics processor with your Windows OS computer and an Intel® Core™ i7 processor or better to have the best drawing experience when rendering in 3D.

There is a great website with lots of tips and advice for TurboCAD at : Welcome

Regards,

Paul Jones

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks. $6K. Yikes. So much for that. Yes, there is always real risk in dealing on fleabay, and I've been bitten a couple times years ago. The key is to only buy from well established sellers with a ton of positive, and no negative, feedback. Doing that, I've remained safe for a very long time. Any web vendor can be unscrupulous, for sure. But that is everywhere, even in physical brick and mortar businesses. What DO they do with that card when they take it into another room to process it, as in most restaurants? Been there too. Thank goodness for the banking regulations that allow chargebacks when we get ripped off. I'm not afraid to go that route, and have done so multiple times. Most of the unscrupulous web presences rely on people simply giving in and taking the loss. I don't give them that satisfaction.

Thread Information