Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Improving the Harbor Freight Drill Press Locking Clamp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Improving the Harbor Freight Drill Press Locking Clamp

Drilling large holes in small pieces of metal can be dangerous on a drill press. The drill can "snatch" and spin the part around. If you are holding the part in your fingers, blood can be spilled.

The easier it is to clamp the part, the more likely I am to be safe. As bought, the Harbor Freight drill press locking clamp is not easy to use. Yet, it can be improved with help from my junk drawer.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/ModifiedDrillPressClamp.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Alan Purdy (Jan 24, 2019), aphilipmarcou (Jan 23, 2019), Baddog (Feb 23, 2021), baja (Feb 24, 2021), bruce.desertrat (Jan 23, 2019), desbromilow (Jan 23, 2019), greyhoundollie (Jan 26, 2019), high-side (Mar 29, 2019), IAMSatisfied (Jan 24, 2019), jjr2001 (Jan 24, 2019), Jon (Jan 23, 2019), Moby Duck (Jan 24, 2019), PJs (Jan 24, 2019), richardcrane (Jan 26, 2019), rlm98253 (Jan 23, 2019), sacco1 (Feb 24, 2021), Sam's Workshop Diary (Jan 25, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jan 24, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 23, 2019), Sleykin (Jan 23, 2019), Tonyg (Feb 24, 2021)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    "I rarely throw any metal away. Far too often, these bits are exactly what is needed in a future project. Every time this strategy succeeds, I call it “feeding the disease”."

So THAT's what I have! (looks at the coffee can of random washers, bolts and such I've picked up off the street over the years of commuting by bicycle )

I just wish they made one of those clamps in a 5" or 6" size, so they would fit on my little benchtop drill press.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

John819 (Jan 31, 2019), Sleykin (Jan 24, 2019)

Thanks

drilling

i have clamp like this mine says vise -grip on it, i have seen MAC and Proto versions too, but its gone out of style and they are hard to find, after using mine a few times i know why... they ARE too difficult to use and u can tear up the part also,, as i have several drill presses and plenty of room,i got a 4 inch horror frieght drill press vise and bolted it down to the drill press table,,,i put part in vise ,snug it down,and then loosen the 2 clamps that hold the table support and the table rotation , and move vise directly under drill bit where i want it, tighten vise and then tighten both clamps,and drill away,,,works good f me...u really need 2 of these clamps to properly hold something in place ,.i also dont like the whack on my hand from un clamping,,
    Last edited by madokie; Jan 23, 2019 at 05:46 PM.

Supporting Member aphilipmarcou's Avatar
    Thanks

aphilipmarcou's Tools
    10 out of 10 .... That bottom drawer is an essential item of workshop furniture... the bigger the better.You can even have one outside the size of a shipping container (

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aphilipmarcou For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 24, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Rick, very nice mods. The hand crank is a much needed improvement.

A safety story. Back when I was a kid (probably have said this story before here), my first job was a lab technician working for The Trane company in LaCrosse, WI. I was using the workshop drill press and holding the part by hand. An old timer stopped and showed me what happened to him a few years earlier. The part grabbed, took his fingers around the drill, grabbed the tendon that pulls the 4 fingers closed, as it yanked it from the muscled part way up the forearm. He had multiple surgeries to give him back some use. He was left with all 4 fingers pulling together with no individual finger control. And he did not have much pulling force.
    Anyway, it changed the way I used drill presses from there on out.

Thanks for the tool improvement ideas.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

IAMSatisfied (Jan 24, 2019), volodar (Jan 25, 2019)

Thanks
    What a good idea as I have a Harbor freight drill press. Will by their clamp as all my vice grips were made here in Nebraska and I wish to preserve them.

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    Thank you, Rick, I'll have to borrow your ideas to upgrade my drill press clamp.

Whew, metric_taper, as I read your story I could ~feel~ it deep in my gut. The older I get, the less prone I am to taking unnecessary risks, and it's related experiences just like this that are pure gold in their prevention value.

A number of years ago a fellow I knew was running a board through a table saw, and near the end of the cut he used a tapered scrap of lumber as a push stick to finish the cut. He was holding the pointed end of the stick, and when it hit the blade, the saw kicked it with such force that it threaded the stick under the the skin of his forearm for several inches. The doc irrigated it well, disinfected and stuffed the newly made subcutaneous channel with gauze so it wouldn't heal closed over any infection. I don't remember all of the details of of how he cared for the wound in the healing process, but it sure made me more cognizant of potential unintended consequences of my actions.

Thanks

Sleykin's Tools
    I have T slots in my drill press so I modified the clamps to fit. Instead of cutting the threaded part down I added spacers. I use the screw adjuster for fine adjustments and just tighten or loosen the clamps in the T nut for coarse adjustment.

Improving the Harbor Freight Drill Press Locking Clamp-20190124_112204.jpg Improving the Harbor Freight Drill Press Locking Clamp-20190124_112149.jpg Improving the Harbor Freight Drill Press Locking Clamp-20190124_112138.jpg

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sleykin For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 25, 2019), nova_robotics (Feb 23, 2021), that_other_guy (Jan 28, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I always put a bolt or clamp on the side of my work so if there is a jam, the work cannot spin. I have two of those hf clamps and they work fine. I also have other clamps. Got a dp and all that because I almost rebroke my wrist free drilling some metal. Now I don't have to worry.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Sleykin, great idea, thanks.

Thread Information