Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Incidental optical centre punch

Thanks

Canobi's Tools

Incidental optical centre punch

Seasons Greetings folks *< []: )

I've had an optical centre punch on my "to make" list for ages and was slowly gearing up to make one. I decided to go with 12mm for the punch and got a 12mm reemer and some 12mm x 50mm acrylic rod in preparation:

Not long after, I snagged a bag of hardened and ground dowel pins of varying diameters, some of which also happen to be 12mm x 50mm and figured I could use one to make a punch:

I've had a lot of other financial commitments recently, so have been unable to acquire a piece of brass to make the base with so was saving the project for a later date.

That was until today. I was given a steering column essembly to salvage parts from a few days ago and I decided to strip it down this afternoon.

I was interested in one part in particular as it looked like it could be used as a milling jack. It wasnt until I got it free that I realised that it was actually made up of three pieces and as such, was way too short to make into a jack (bummer) but by shear coincidence the part was perfect as an optical punch base as it's quite heavy and very hard (files just skip across it and I couldn't "soften" the edges with my noga deburr) and the bore is such a good fit for the dowel that when one end is blocked, I get a "pop!" when removing it or the acrylic rod:

With that, I took the acrylic rod and chucked it in an ER32 on my lathe. I then faced, spotted and then sanded the end to get rid of any tool marks. Afterwhich I carefully heat polished it to make it optically clear again and used a permanent fine tipped marker to black the central indent:

I then flipped it round and used my lathe file to make a slight some. I'm given to inderstand that the optimal dome radii is 15° but without a way to accurately achieve that, it took a bit of playing around to shape the end to a usable magnification, in this case it's closer to 24° but it still turned out fit for task:

With the optical part complete, I turned to making the punch, nothing of which was spectacular enough to write home about but it did involve a little hard turning, so I broke out the carbide tooling for this job.

I wasn't entirely sure what the optimal included angle was for a metal punch, so simply set my topslide to copy the business end of one I already had and voila:

I will make a brass base for it one day but at least I have one on hand when I need one

Have a fantastic Christmas one and all and I wish you all the best for the new year.

Canobi *< []: )

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    It's not the destination but the journey you take to get there that matters.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Canobi For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 20, 2024), bigtrev8xl (Dec 25, 2018), Corm (Mar 19, 2019), Crusty (Dec 26, 2020), Dimitris Polychronis (Dec 25, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 11, 2020), Home-PC (Dec 25, 2020), Inner (Dec 30, 2018), Jon (Dec 24, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Dec 23, 2018), Paul Jones (Dec 28, 2018), Ralphxyz (Feb 24, 2024), rossbotics (Dec 26, 2018), sacco1 (Dec 25, 2020), Seedtick (Dec 24, 2018), tonyfoale (Dec 25, 2018)

Thanks
    Nicely Done. Supersized version of a Veritas center punch I purchased years ago.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WyoJim For This Useful Post:

Canobi (Dec 25, 2018)

Supporting Member Dimitris Polychronis's Avatar
    Thanks

Dimitris Polychronis's Tools
    Well done, Canobi! I just love tools that are made from salvaged parts or scraps!

Merry Christmas and happy new Year, to you too!
    Dimitris

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dimitris Polychronis For This Useful Post:

Canobi (Dec 25, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Canobi! We've added your Optical Punch to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Canobi's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Great write up and display Canobi
    Think I'll put one of those on my to do list, Happy Holidays to you too and all of yours.

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Canobi (Dec 31, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

thinkbackwards's Tools
    Very nice. I'm jealous. excellent description and photos of your technique.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thinkbackwards For This Useful Post:

Canobi (Dec 31, 2018)

Thanks

Canobi's Tools
    Thank you for the kind words everyone, a Happy New Year to you all

Thanks
    O my god This is a cool tool … I need one so badly, my eye sight is going bad … I need 3 hands to use a center punch .
    Last edited by Mr.Pete; Dec 30, 2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: mis spelling

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Pete For This Useful Post:

Canobi (Dec 31, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Nice work leveraging found parts. Honestly I wouldn’t bother with a brass base as this one will last forever.

Unless of course you add a light to that base. Old age loves lots of light.

Thanks

Canobi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pete View Post
    O my god This is a cool tool … I need one so badly, my eye sight is going bad … I need 3 hands to use a center punch .
    I have a few spares, PM me if I can help in any way

Thread Information