Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Industrial shawarma production - GIF

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Well it's not Quail or frogs so what delights are they cooking? Shudder to think!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    looks like chicken

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    yeah Frank, very small chooks. My family visited Sydney & china town & all but me wanted Chinese food. With ulcers in mind I opted for a walk & have a burger or pizza further up town. When I returned to the hotel my wife was enjoying her sweet & sour chicken & the kids their tucker. I gazed upon the meal and asked "What kind of chicken has claws like that. My wife ran to the toilet. It was either possum or cat or small dog=LOL. We used to joke about Kentucky fried cat but here it was in downtown Sydney.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 16, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    When my kids were really young I used to take them hunting with me. they stayed at camp while I fetched the evening meal.Always made sure to dress and clean it before returning to camp. I would never let them see what the meat was I was adding to the stew pot of root tubers and various vegetation I had scrounged from the woods.
    What's in it Daddy?
    If you are hungry just eat it
    This is really good daddy but what's in it?
    Never mind what is in the stew just finish your meal maybe I'll tell you tomorrow.
    Next morning Daddy these eggs are really small where did you get sausage? Are these bread sticks?
    Eat your breakfast
    After the weekend was over and we went home.
    Mommy daddy made a really good stew and we had sausage and eggs for breakfast but he wont tell us what it was we were eating.
    Then it is better that you don't find out because knowing him you were probably eating something that you wouldn't think is possible to eat. He probably killed a large rodent like a nutria and the eggs were probably alligator eggs and if you had sausage then you can probably bet that he made it out of parts of the rodent and used weeds as the spices.
    I never told them
    But years later after they were married they would often ask if we could all go hunting again so I could make some more varmint stew.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    As it turned out my wife wasn't far off

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Gotta chuckle. When my primary school friends found out I ate pigeon, shark & eel they were horrified.My dad used to say "you will eat it before it eats you"-great depression talk.
    Last edited by ranald; Sep 15, 2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: grammer/spelling

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 16, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Fun stories guys!

I started young with snails in Germany at the O'club. Not that Escargot crap...Snails in garlic butter and herbs put back in the shells with some small Crostini bread...Yum! They were great and the chef came out and got to yakking with us saying it's hard to find any quantities of them and why they were a bit pricey. I chimed in and said we have tons of that kind down by the creek where we lived off base. He hired me and off I went through the nettle with socks on my hands and mom's scarf around my head and face...got buckets full for him over a few month until the herd started to thin...and a lot of nettle bites...made some decent change and got them free when we went to the O'club after that.

Had a mystery meat pie on the Rocks down in Sydney. Funny I didn't ask until I had finished it and walked back by. Told him that was a fine pie...what was it? He just winked and grinned. Twas a good Pie what ever it was. Also had a Roo burger with fried egg and beets up in Oodnadatta at the gas station/hardware/pharmacy/everything store...best burger I ever had. Best cold water oysters in Sydney and Melbourne, like bluepoints but much tastier...and a mystery Blue crawfish plate up in Cairns at a hole in the wall restaurant in a Garage...never seen a Blue Crawfish before...but Tasty!

When Dad came back from Nam, him and I had a week long trek from our house out to the beach. Lugging C-Rations in 40lb packs. On about the 3rd day we ended up by a small lake (Kent lake) and camped up in a draw that was beautiful with small spring feeding down into the lake going through wild mint and a small beach to camp on. I was at the water filling our jugs and a pot for water when I saw some pretty good sized crawdads up close to the shore. C-Rations were starting to wear on us so I grabbed one and tossed it at Dad...he grabbed it, popped the head off and tied some fishing line to the body and came down and tossed it a few feet out. He called it trolling for crawdads. Didn't know they are cannibals! We lured up 3 or 4 at a time and flipped them up on the beach with our GI shovel till we had enough. Cracked and peeled them, broke out the best thing in C-Rations....Chicken soup, grabbed some mint and a few other things (wild onion, mustard, and IIRC fennel fronds and some sage etc.) we found around camp...best Crawdad gumbo ever! It also made those blinkin Big'O Crackers almost palatable! And a heck-a-lot-o-fun!

Also a nut for sushi (Uni, followed by Ikura with a quail egg...best mouth finish Ever!), lots of the exotic stuff but some of the best is home cooking style Yosenabe and fried sturgeon roe sacks and amaebi with fried head very high on my list. On and on with Japanese cuisine.

Mother nature supplies...I am happy to oblige her! No worries...Snake, Osterich, crock, and a bug or two, It's all good!
    Last edited by PJs; Sep 16, 2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: more Austrailia
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Nothin' beats Good Tucker! Home made from nature is probably the best. The best Burger I ever had ( about 5 years ago) was at a cafe in Wooroolin (near peanut country S.E Qld). It was so big that a kebab squer just held it together. 2 pieces of steak, 2 bacon rashers, an egg, a pineapple ring &, all the normal salad inc lettuce, tomato, beetroot, onion, capsicum, carrot etc & of course a whopping big bread roll. Cost $6 and if you ate it there (not takeaway) a plate of freshly fried chips included. No wonder they went broke. It was about the same price here as a big mac or a chunky beef pie with mash potato.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 17, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Sep 18, 2018), jackhoying (Sep 22, 2018), PJs (Sep 17, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 22, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 19, 2018), thevillageinn (Sep 20, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 6, 2018), volodar (Sep 20, 2018), wolfpaak (Sep 28, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Too Cool, Tube Steaks on a stick over an open fire and made from things around camp or whatever...Yahtzee! Good catch on the kabob skewers Jon!
    Last edited by PJs; Sep 17, 2018 at 04:28 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information