Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: introduction

Thanks

introduction

Hello all. recently purchased a table saw and looking for some jig plans that would be useful to have handy. im currently working on making pull out shelves for my garage storage cabinets, and in between projects i like to dabble in pyrography.. any advice or pointers would be appreciated. thank you.

Aieng

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

kiwiles's Tools
    suggest you take a look at Izzy Swans website and you tube channel, others would be Stump Nobbs, and Pinterest. You'l get heaps of ideas from there. Here is one I looked through this morning.
    https://nz.pinterest.com/topics/woodworking-jigs/?
    If you see something you like click on it and the subject will come up . Beneath main subject will be and list of related subjects to follow. If there is a site I like and want to keep, I have set up my printer option (control P) to save as a pdf and I save it to a special folder. The other thing I have done is downloaded "Freemake video converter". any thing I like on you tube, the url is cut and pasted in and saved as an mp4. A very easy program to use.
    Its addictive, have fun

les

good luck and have fun.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    1. crosscut sled --- if you do model work, you'll probably want two, small and large. Many great howtos on youtube: check out Matthias Wandel's website for top of the line ideas.
    2. featherboard -- you can buy these, but also make various designs
    3. [ Probably should be #1 ] Pushsticks -- keep your hand and fingers away from the blade! Ideally several, so there's always one at hand.

Thanks
    I agree with Richard that the best jigs to start with are a cross cut sled (large), then if needed add a small parts sled. If you plan on doing 45 degree miters then a miter sled is essential. Also another favorite of mine is the "L" fence, although some people prefer using sacrificial fences, I find the "L" fence is more versatile.
    Take care and have fun.

Thanks

majnun's Tools
    The replies given are good. I get articles and offers from Popular Woodworking, which are useful. Enrolling in a woodworking class in a community college is an excellent way to learn how to use various tools safely.

Thanks

My suggestion to you would be to make yourself 1. sled 2. box joint jig

Quote Originally Posted by aieng View Post
    Hello all. recently purchased a table saw and looking for some jig plans that would be useful to have handy. im currently working on making pull out shelves for my garage storage cabinets, and in between projects i like to dabble in pyrography.. any advice or pointers would be appreciated. thank you.

Aieng
    My suggestion to you would be to make yourself 1. sled 2. box joint jig. 3. I have a board that I can screw to my fence that extends right up to blade edge to allow the cut pieces not to pinch between the blade and the fence. I also have several of the press nuts in the board to allow mounting feather boards. I recommend you purchase a tenon jig. This can be a dangerous operation if the fixture is not constructed properly. Shop notes magazine has many good jig designs that you can benefit from. many are available on line.

Always practice safety when working with your tablesaw. I have the following among many other rules. 1. Do not stand directly behind the board you are feeding into the blade. Even the best of woodworkers will tell you of bad accidents or of close calls from being hit by a flying projectile. 2. always have the floor area you are working in clean and free from trip hazards. Use push sticks and hold downs. If your saw does not have a large "bump" off switch I suggest you get your self one. eventually you may find yourself with a tiger by the tail (a board trying to bind up) and you cant let go to slap the off button. those big red off switches are that way for a reason (they make an easy target).
    Good luck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woodytoolmaker View Post
    If your saw does not have a large "bump" off switch I suggest you get your self one. eventually you may find yourself with a tiger by the tail (a board trying to bind up) and you cant let go to slap the off button. those big red off switches are that way for a reason (they make an easy target).
    Good luck
    Hey Woody. I edited your post because this part really caught my eye. I haven't done this to my table saw, but will be very soon. I put one on the router table and it is sweet.

Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks
    Yes a good cross cut sled is a good start. Also a good tapering jig always came in handy for me.
    Check Instructables.com and do a table saw jig search...many good ideas there with some pretty good directions on building them.

Good luck

Thanks
    The suggestions posted are very excellent things to consider for you to build. There are numerous wood-working mags that show all kinds of jigs for various tools. I would recommend that you check out the selections at your local library, especially those pertaining to table saws. Whole books have been written on this subject and would be a great place to start. Good Luck

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information