Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Irrigation Flow System

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    PJ,

The one thing I am positive about in all of this is that a patent IS impossible for anyone to get on this work. I have already defensively published it so now the flow monitor and control is in the public domain. It would be like trying to patent the wheel.

As for the circuit, I expect that the product would be all SMT and not use the Pro Micro at all. Really not a big deal. I wish I could say the same for the flow meter. It must be accurate over a wide range of flow rates yet be low cost. A turbine based flow meter isn't going to cut it. Might have to approach Badger and have them make a special version with a pulse output. They make some that way but the closest I could see was one pulse per gallon. I need about one pulse per 0.03 gallons. That comes out to one pulse per rotation of the nutating disk. The magnetic pick up must be Hall Effect because a reed switch can't keep up nor have the longevity. Fortunately, the body of the meter would not need to be modified.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Rick,

My professional experience in flow measurement & control is with Mass flow (DP/SP/temp), thermal mass flow and velocity for gasses and particulates. As I indicated before I thought your flow measurement could be done with Mass flow or Ultrasonic. Converting either to pulse output would result in a loss of all the accuracy and possibilities for control they offer.

I do still think that ultrasonic would do a lot for your system but would require considerable changes to your input and likely the code. This also assumes you are using city drinking water that has a good/relatively constant conductivity for the low flow rates.

The only other possibilities I see is a Mag Meter front end and it's also non invasive, which could be converted to pulses but would require some coils, additional power/circuits to read them and some messing around with calibration then convert that to a pulse through some kind of circuit...a comparator/inverter to (74LS121) monostable multivibrator or a couple of nor gates and RC, maybe??

The links have good +/- write ups. Also ran across this white paper on a unique Mass Flow measurement.

Not sure what type of prox sensor you tried but would think that would work. There are three basic types inductive, capacitive & magnetic in 4 flavors NPN/PNP/NO/NC....

I also took a look at the Hunter offerings and they have some nice features at reasonable prices, including 2 wire pulsed output and their controllers have wifi for decent costs I thought based on features.

Other than that, getting Badger to build it in based on your design is a plausible direction??

Best of luck with where ever you take this. ~PJ

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 4, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Rick,

My professional experience in flow measurement & control is with Mass flow (DP/SP/temp), thermal mass flow and velocity for gasses and particulates. As I indicated before I thought your flow measurement could be done with Mass flow or Ultrasonic. Converting either to pulse output would result in a loss of all the accuracy and possibilities for control they offer.

I do still think that ultrasonic would do a lot for your system but would require considerable changes to your input and likely the code. This also assumes you are using city drinking water that has a good/relatively constant conductivity for the low flow rates.

The only other possibilities I see is a Mag Meter front end and it's also non invasive, which could be converted to pulses but would require some coils, additional power/circuits to read them and some messing around with calibration then convert that to a pulse through some kind of circuit...a comparator/inverter to (74LS121) monostable multivibrator or a couple of nor gates and RC, maybe??

The links have good +/- write ups. Also ran across this white paper on a unique Mass Flow measurement.

Not sure what type of prox sensor you tried but would think that would work. There are three basic types inductive, capacitive & magnetic in 4 flavors NPN/PNP/NO/NC....

I also took a look at the Hunter offerings and they have some nice features at reasonable prices, including 2 wire pulsed output and their controllers have wifi for decent costs I thought based on features.

Other than that, getting Badger to build it in based on your design is a plausible direction??

Best of luck with where ever you take this. ~PJ
    Picking the best flow meter is part of turning my proof of concept into a real product. However,
    I have contacted Badger about a modified meter. My hope is that they will see it as a new market.

The Arduino does have a decent analog to digital converter so a flow meter with an analog output could be made to work just fine.

The proximity sensor I tried is inductive with an NPN output. I use them on my CNC mill with good results so it really surprised me that I could not find a sweet spot on the top of the Badger meter. I did use a small magnet to map out the structure of the steel. Also tried iron filings to prove to myself there was no magnet in there.

Rick
    Rick

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your Irrigation Flow System to our Farm and Garden category, as well as to your builder page: Rick's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information