Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: ITC-100HT Ceramic Coating for Refractories

Thanks

ITC-100HT Ceramic Coating for Refractories

ITC-100HT Ceramic Coating for Refractories. Is there something like the itc-100 that is cheaper to use?

I want to make a forge with the portland cement, sand, Perlite, and clay. But I was thinking the the itc

would protect the cement from the heat. Problem is 100 bucks or so cost. Is there a cheaper option for

reflecting heat from the concrete?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with ITC-100HT Ceramic Coating but when I built my propane tank foundry all I used was 1" kaowool under my homemade refractory. Why would you need to protect your refractory from the heat? Isn't its purpose to withstand the high temperatures? I apologize if I misunderstood or if I'm not smart enough to answer your question. But for what it's worth, I got a 3' x 4' sheet on ebay for around $40. Which was almost twice what I needed for my 5lb propane tank foundry. There's a great 3 part tutorial on youtube by rlbob1 called Backyard Foundry Tutorial. Hope this helps. Good luck!

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chronic Fabricator For This Useful Post:

kemp_l (Mar 6, 2016)

Thanks
    Just reread your post. Seems like you're looking for something to make the refractory more efficient. Sorry I never bothered to seal my refractory. Hope someone else here can help you better than I could. Good luck still!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chronic Fabricator For This Useful Post:

kemp_l (Mar 6, 2016)

Thanks

Bverysharp's Tools
    You might like to try mixing fire clay with zircon flour & 20 grit fire brick grog. I experimented with quantities, but treated it like a concrete mix 1:1:3. The Zircon has a melting temperature around 3600C. I coated the inside of my gas-fired aluminium melting furnace with this, and it has held up far better than the portland cement & fireclay mix that I used when I initially made the furnace. The Zircon flour costed me about $12 for 5 Kg, but you don't need a lot.
    You should be able to get it from pottery suppliers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bverysharp For This Useful Post:

kemp_l (Mar 6, 2016)

RFS
    Thanks

RFS's Tools
    If you're going to use cement you might try using firebricks? You can get them cheap straight from the brick seller. You can also buy a cheap needle scaler at HF and crush up firebrick with it, mix into your recipe and it should hold up fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RFS For This Useful Post:

kemp_l (Mar 6, 2016)

Thanks
    Thank you all for the information you supplied. I am backing out of using cement the more I read about it. I am thinking that bverysharps recipe may be what I am looking for.

fire clay 1part
    zircon flour 1part
    20 grit fire brick grog 3parts

Does anyone have a tutorial with this recipe? Step by Step Details link,Pdf,Doc, that they would recommend or have used? I am not sure about how to make 20 grit grog. I guess what I am asking is for someone to hold my hand and walk me through a build that will last. I will be picking up the needle scaler at hf and calling for zircon flower in the morning.

Thanks
    Ummm, Man I feel a bit foolish. RFS, Explained using a needle scaler and it just now clicked..Man sometimes the obvious just flies over my head....Not sure why I also was thinking grog was a thin fluid..Oh yea, I went to youtube and am watching the videos mentioned above...Very cool stuff.

Last edited by kemp_l; Mar 6, 2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Got a cool sig smily

Thanks
    ok 5lb Zircon flour, will be here Tuesday. They want 150 bucks for a bag 50lbs so ordered 5lb off internet. Got the bag of fire clay 50lb. Got to get after the 20 grit grog. I got the needle scaler and will pickup a six pack of fire brick monday and work it down to 20 grit. I think I am ready to Rock -n- Roll. Forgot the Earplugs. I think I will get the earmuff protector though instead of plugs. Spose eye Protection wouldn't be a bad idea either huh.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by kemp_l; Mar 6, 2016 at 09:02 PM.
    Thanks
    Kemp L.

Thread Information