Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jeep drives down a steep ravine - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    That is along the lines as to how I thought some were done. in my 79 dodge 1 ton after I doubled the frame I dropped a spicer 5531c and a G630 transfer case in behind the dodge 4 sp the front and rear diffs were from a 69 Chevy C60 This was not for any rock climbing or off road adventure truck this was in what I called my Montana bound welding rig If I would do it over again I am sure I could come up with a more reasonable way of doing so but this time it would have to be diesel.instead of the wimpy little mopar 360 pulling all of that extra weight and gears it barely had enough power to get up to 60 MPH

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Ctrl View Post
    I'm not up on the 4x4 trends. Here in the mountains where I live, eveyone drops IRS and IFS in favor of one ton axles. My plan is to build a full floating high pinion 9 inch axle for the rear of my truck and high pinion 509 for the front. A 509/609 is using a 9 inch axle and installing the steering knuckles from either a Dana 50 from a Ford F250 (509) or Dana 60 from a F350/450 (609). IFS and IRS use really weak constant velocity joints instead of U joints on the axles. They are weak in OE form. However, I am sure that aftermarket companies have master the art of making them stronger. Also, IFS and IRS only allows flex at one corner, which can cause the vhicle to drag over obsticals. They lack articulation compared to a straight axle. Again, some company somewhere has probably over come this problem.

This pic shows the possible problems with idependent suspension compared to solid axle.
    Some guys I know have had good success with the AM General HM1 drive train but fabricate their own upper and lower control arms and long travel coil overs full 4 corner articulation hydraulic control to adjust the camber. I used to toy around a bit with the little M151A1 parts for a couple of guys but they were into small engines and light weight mobility

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    That is along the lines as to how I thought some were done. in my 79 dodge 1 ton after I doubled the frame I dropped a spicer 5531c and a G630 transfer case in behind the dodge 4 sp the front and rear diffs were from a 69 Chevy C60 This was not for any rock climbing or off road adventure truck this was in what I called my Montana bound welding rig If I would do it over again I am sure I could come up with a more reasonable way of doing so but this time it would have to be diesel.instead of the wimpy little mopar 360 pulling all of that extra weight and gears it barely had enough power to get up to 60 MPH
    I'm not familiar with Mopar stuff. I do know enough that your rig had some weight to it. It should have been good on snow covered roads. How many fuel trucks had to follow you around? LOL That poor 360 was struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Some guys I know have had good success with the AM General HM1 drive train but fabricate their own upper and lower control arms and long travel coil overs full 4 corner articulation hydraulic control to adjust the camber. I used to toy around a bit with the little M151A1 parts for a couple of guys but they were into small engines and light weight mobility
    Yep, those guys are using techniques to make things work that I have no knowledge of. I'll have to do some research on them, it sounds like interesting stuff.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Lets just say I am glad that gas wasn't the price it is today the total rigged up weight was near 14K Stupidly heavy considering that other welders running around with their bone stock 4 X 4 1 tons with only a machine and a torch and very little tools were around 8500 to 9000 but for some reason when it came time to get into the bad places they got stuck running their on their 245 16's with their big 454s and automatics,there I was with 285/70 19.5 Bridgestone mud grips with my 360 /4 sp / 3 sp /2 sp having to pull them out if you got enough gears and can get down low even a small engine can be a power horse

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Loose Ctrl (Dec 16, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    You guys might like a new experiment we've been trying at 4x4Builds.net. We've been listing daily-updated posts from ONLY build threads on dozens of 4x4 forums, and ONLY from new posts that include photos. You can click on the top "Models" tab, to see only the latest photo posts in build threads for specific 4x4 models.

For example:

Jeep CJ: latest build thread posts
    International Harvester Scout: latest build thread posts
    Suzuki Samurai: latest build thread posts
    Mercedes Unimog: latest build thread posts

Each snippet links directly to the exact new forum post, so you don't have to go searching through a long build thread. You can essentially browse multiple daily-updated 4x4 build threads, without having to scan through dozens of forums. The site uses a combination of automated forum scanning software that I wrote, plus human review.

Still a work in progress, but the concept is interesting.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I wonder if wearing brown pants when attempting these climbs are optional or mandatory.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 3, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 14, 2019)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 3, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 14, 2019), Seedtick (Sep 2, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Road! where I'm going I don't need no road. I wonder if he was the only one to do this successfully.

Thanks
    awe that aint nothing..hear hold my beer..........crap I dont drink.

Thread Information