Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Just joined; looking for ideas to make with a mini-lathe

Thanks

Just joined; looking for ideas to make with a mini-lathe

I haven't purchased a mini-lathe yet but am very interested. I have build a number of tools; one I am most proud of and use often is a CNC machine. I bought the plans from solsylva.com several years ago. Today I will machine a scarab beetle in plaster of paris and intend to cast lead therein.

From what I have seen so far, homemadetools.com has tons of ideas.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi jaycthemaker - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

How did the CNC machine build go?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Jon,

Thanks for your Welcoming message and the free eBook. There are a number of interesting ideas documented in the book. I would be interested in the small tool vise; I use a jeweler's ring clamp now-and-then but it doesn't quite make the grade in most cases.

I am thrilled with my CNC-build. I use the machine frequently. It is so much more versatile than a woodworker's router and router table that I used in the past. The only real problem with the CNC-build is that I didn't get the 'floor' as level as I would have liked. Over the 23" of the floor width, the variation in the Zed is about .03". I have learned several coping strategies and work around the problem 99% of the time.

A limitation of the machine is that it doesn't do well with metal stock. It can cut 6061 Aluminum if the cut is very light but the chatter can be a problem. Nonetheless, I am extremely satisfied with the machine and what I can do with it.

I did add a 4th axis and have machined threads and relief designs on round boxes. I made a leg vise and an outfeed support with a roller. The threads I have cut so far have been the typical 60 deg pointed type. I have been wanting to cut Acme threads but so far haven't found ACME bits suitable for mounting in my CNC router.

I am looking forward to exploring and using the homemadetools.net website and forum.

BTW - I found you by clicking on several items I was looking at on Pinterest.

Very best regards,

Jay Christensen

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information