Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Knob for Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Knob for Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever

The knob for the lathe tailstock clamping lever was missing on my used 12”x37” geared-head lathe when it arrived. I designed my own version that is comfortable to use and pleasing to the eye. It is made from 12L14 steel and internally threaded with 3/8-16 thread (and not M10x1.5 considering this lathe was built in Taiwan in 1987). The knob is approximately 0.75” dia. by 2.25” long and made from 12L14 steel. I used a clamp-type knurling tool for the 21 pitch diamond medium pattern knurls. The OD for the knurl diameter can be any diameter that is a multiple of the spacing of the knurl teeth divided by PI (3.14159). In this case it was approximately 49X(0.0476”/3.14159)=0.743” to ensure the knurling pattern tracks well and stays in sync.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knob for Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever-top-end-tailstock-clamp-knob.jpg   Knob for Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever-bottom-end-tailstock-clamp-knob.jpg   Knob for Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever-cutting-0.070-grooves-nikcole-carbide-tool-holder.jpg   Knob for Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever-tailstock-clamp-knob-missing.jpg   Knob for Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever-tailstock-clamp-knob-installed.jpg  

Knob for Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever-lathe-spindle-control-tailstock-knobs-installed.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), kbalch (Apr 30, 2015), ranald (Jun 27, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Lathe Tailstock Clamping Lever to our Machining category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Nice knurling on that handle!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 30, 2015)

Thanks
    This thread has been moved to the Must Read subforum. Congrats (and thanks) to Paul for making such a valuable contribution!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 1, 2015)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Ken,

Thank you very much for the recognition. I appreciate the feedback. I am always interested in seeing the variety of tools published in HomemadeTools.net. Lately, I have been publishing a series of tool improvements for my old 12"X37" geared-head lathe. I like to incorporate knurling in some of my tool designs and a crisp knurled surface can be made every time by following a few dependable steps.

Thank you!
    Paul R Jones

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Very pretty as well as effective.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 28, 2019)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Knurling is always fun especially when it comes out perfect and yours looks great. The trade school I attended for machine tool technology always needed some part made for the lathes and mills, some students were rough. I enjoyed making the many assorted handles, T-nuts for compounds and it was nice the welding shop was right next door.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TrickieDickie For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 28, 2019)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    ranald and TrickieDickie,

Thank you for the comments. The correct OD for the knurl diameter can be easily calculated by hand with the formulas or using the previous methods provided by Marv or PJs.

However, as they say there is an "App for that". During the last few years I have been using the Smart Phone app designed for Android phones entitled "Knurling Calculator" but it can only calculate for Imperial knurling and not metric. Nonetheless the initial knurl diameter calculation using the phone app "Knurling Calculator" is close to perfect but I usually add about 0.002" to the outer diameters for making stainless steel parts. I don't using cutting oil but rather plain-old lathe way lubricating oil to make the knurl imprint. The final knurling results are always perfect.

Regards,

Paul Jones

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jun 29, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    ranald and TrickieDickie,

Thank you for the comments. The correct OD for the knurl diameter can be easily calculated by hand with the formulas or using the previous methods provided by Marv or PJs.

However, as they say there is an "App for that". During the last few years I have been using the Smart Phone app designed for Android phones entitled "Knurling Calculator" but it can only calculate for Imperial knurling and not metric. Nonetheless the initial knurl diameter calculation using the phone app "Knurling Calculator" is close to perfect but I usually add about 0.002" to the outer diameters for making stainless steel parts. I don't using cutting oil but rather plain-old lathe way lubricating oil to make the knurl imprint. The final knurling results are always perfect.

Regards,

Paul Jones
    Thanks Paul,

They do look perfect!
    I've just ordered a Dial caliper from the US with cheapest postage equal to the buying cost: I'm over my homebrand digital ones that change and use so many batteries that make me giddy. I mostly only do woodwork but still need something reasonably accurate. I don't have Aps just the Ape of poor phone service.
    Cheers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 7, 2020)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Beautiful! I have just got to make one of those.

Or several!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Paul A.

Thread Information