Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Knuckleboom crane upgraded to an electric motor for the hydraulic system

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools

Knuckleboom crane upgraded to an electric motor for the hydraulic system

Hey Guys,
    Since the engine on the truck for my knuckleboom burns a lot of oil when it runs, and makes the shop all smokey, I decided to upgrade to an electric motor for the drive to the hydraulic pump, which allows for quiet, clean and quick power for using the crane. Most of the time that I need to use the crane is in the shop, so this works nicely.
    A new 3 hp electric motor for an air compressor, some pulleys, a jack shaft, and some misc steel for brackets, and I had it converted. Here's a video showing the conversion:

I'm quite happy with the conversion, and I can easily switch back to the PTO shaft if needed to. Only need to loosen a bracket, remove the 12" pulley, and the shaft can be put back on.

Thanks
    Kent

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

Crusty (May 29, 2020), Seedtick (Jan 1, 2018)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    It can move but can it lift?

Ralph

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    What size is the pump and what is it? Gear or vane?Single or double? Just asking because I know how H.P. requirements rise with relatively small increases in pump size.
    Have you thought about a Diesel flush on the engine and adding Morey's?

Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    yup, it can definitely lift... I was able to lift the All Terrain Track Chair with the boom extended about 2 feet, and that thing weighs 4000 lbs. Will it lift as much as the PTO drive? Probably not, but good enough for my purposes inside the shop. Also, the way the valves are constructed, I could move the boom to where I want it, and then use a chain block for the actual lifting. Lots of ways for it to be useable.

It's a 3 hp electric motor, with a speed reduction of 7.27 to 1. Which should be an equivalent increase in power. So the 3hp turns into ~21 hp.
    The pump is rated at ~10gpm, but is limited by the valve body which is rated at 6gpm. It's a Williams Machine & tool pump, model 30.

I haven't had much time to worry to much about the engine. At some point, it could use a rebuild to freshen it. I have experience and education on engine rebuilding, so its just a matter of getting the time, and high enough on my priority list.

I haven't heard of Morey's before, so I did a quick search about it. Is it legit? Seems more like a snake oil than anything. Any first hand experience with it?

Thanks
    Kent

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I've been using it for about 40 years and swear by it. When I was doing gas conversions,(L.P.G & C.N.G.), I pulled down engines that had done extremely high mileage that had been on it since new and had no measurable wear. Works great in hydraulic systems too. An easy demonstration is add some of the oil stabiliser to a machine and measure before and after temperatures in operation. Nothing can fix a worn out engine but a rebuild but Morey's can get a lot more work out of it.
    Someone mentioned it's now called Lucas, I don't know if this is true but Lucas and Morey's are both sold here.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks KustomsbyKent! We've added your Crane Motor Conversion to our Cranes category,
    as well as to your builder page: KustomsbyKent's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Jan 4, 2018)

Thanks

bimmer1980's Tools
    Atta boy! Good work Bro. Next time I come to SD I'll be ready to try it out.... I remember the smoke from the truck engine the last time we ran it..... That will be so convenient to just flip the switch and be ready to move some material!

At work it gets real tedious to hear the crane trucks idling while they are waiting to move material......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bimmer1980 For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (May 28, 2020)

Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    The electric motor conversion to the knuckleboom crane is still getting some good work done! It has been a real back saver while working on the All Terrain Track Chair project, and now that I have powder coat painted parts, I am doing final assembly work.
    Here's a video of part 3 I just recently filmed, and some major components got lifted into position... see the end of the video where the engine finally goes back in.
    It is so much nicer to flip the electric switch on, move the crane as needed, shut it off while getting stuff ready, and then flipping it back on and moving it. Yes, it moves slower than what a new crane does, but it sure is faster in the shop than any other method!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

transon (Apr 26, 2021), verticalmurph (May 30, 2020)

Thread Information