Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lantern pin vise

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Lantern pin vise

It's impossible to securely grip a bolt, or anything shaped like a bolt, securely in a conventional lathe chuck with the head end of the bolt in the chuck jaws. This difficulty led to the creation of something called a lantern chuck which provides a recess to accommodate the larger diameter portion.

I've often thought that it would be handy to have a hand vise that had the same feature for holding bolt-shaped objects. I made a trial version from aluminum...

because, at the time, I didn't have any suitable steel. This isn't something one uses very often so the softer metal hasn't been a problem; besides, it prevents marring the workpiece.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 9, 2017 at 08:50 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 17, 2020), Big-Pete (Jul 17, 2020), Captainleeward (Feb 1, 2018), high-side (Jul 23, 2020), jjr2001 (Feb 2, 2017), Moby Duck (Feb 1, 2017), Paul Jones (Feb 2, 2017), PJs (Feb 2, 2017), Seedtick (Feb 2, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Feb 2, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Interesting idea. Did you cut a longitudinal v in the jaws?

I'm often having to shorten bolts and screws and this looks like a good basis for what I need. I also think I'd do away with the thumb wheel and either use an Allen head or a screw the other one on your vise so it could lay flat on the bandsaw table I usually end up using.

Thanks for sharing.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Feb 1, 2018), jjr2001 (Feb 2, 2017), Moby Duck (Feb 1, 2017), Paul Jones (Feb 2, 2017), PJs (Feb 2, 2017)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Interesting idea. Did you cut a longitudinal v in the jaws?

I'm often having to shorten bolts and screws and this looks like a good basis for what I need. I also think I'd do away with the thumb wheel and either use an Allen head or a screw the other one on your vise so it could lay flat on the bandsaw table I usually end up using.

Thanks for sharing.
    No, I didn't but only because I never got a round toit. It's a simple job and I'll do it the next time I have the mill set up to cut V-grooves. So far I've only used it on small non-cylindrical parts.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Lantern Pin Vise to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

I am always impressed by your ingenuity. Thank for sharing this handy tool and also thanks to C-Bag for the suggestion for laying the vice flat. I will be making one these in a similar style to your vise and in aluminum.

Regards, Paul

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Feb 2, 2017), PJs (Feb 2, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Marv,

I am always impressed by your ingenuity. Thank for sharing this handy tool and also thanks to C-Bag for the suggestion for laying the vice flat. I will be making one these in a similar style to your vise and in aluminum.

Regards, Paul
    Yes, a deep bow to your vast knowledge and expertise Marv. I have learned so much from your posts. Especially nomenclature.

I'd never heard of the term pin vise before one of your past posts, now a lantern pin vise. Is that because of the hole for head of the bolt? I'd always seen lantern style referred to on some lathe tool posts and never thought about it thinking is was just an obscure reference. But I guess if it didn't have the tool holder in it, it would resemble an old lantern. But I almost never saw them without a tool holder in them.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Yes, a deep bow to your vast knowledge and expertise Marv. I have learned so much from your posts. Especially nomenclature.

I'd never heard of the term pin vise before one of your past posts, now a lantern pin vise. Is that because of the hole for head of the bolt? I'd always seen lantern style referred to on some lathe tool posts and never thought about it thinking is was just an obscure http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...85772reference. But I guess if it didn't have the tool holder in it, it would resemble an old lantern. But I almost never saw them without a tool holder in them.
    Lantern in this usage refers to anything that sort of looks like a lantern. A "lantern" tool post has a sort of cartouche-shaped opening into which one inserts the lathe tool. Viewed conceptually, it looks a bit like an antique lantern, the hole representing the "window" through which the candle flame was seen.

Jump forward to modern times (well the early 20th century) and a lathe chuck with a window to accept mushroom-headed parts comes to be called a "lantern" chuck. See this post...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...l-screws-26214

for my version of same for machining the ends of screws.

As you surmised, I carried the nomenclature over to this pin vise because it accommodates the handling of mushroom parts.

Nothing sacred about the name; if it looked as if it had grown underground, I would have called it the truffle pin vise. :-)
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Thanks Marv, yet another thing in the to do list !
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Feb 2, 2018)

Thanks
    Marv
    I'll never get caught up. I like it enough to go and build one.
    Nelson

Thanks
    Thanks for the lantern derivation question, iv been wondering. Thanks for the answer.
    Eric

Thread Information