Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe alarm

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Lathe alarm

I added a swarf-catcher tray to my lathe's carriage. It can be seen here...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...7406#post37017

Although the tray clears the bottom of the chucks, when working near to the chuck face the tray can hit the face of the headstock behind the chuck. If I'm threading this means that the leadscrew can try to drive the tray through the headstock if I'm not watching closely. (Don't ask me how I discovered this.)

This and other situations convinced me that the lathe needed an alarm to warn me of impending disasters. The device I made...

is fairly simple. A nine volt buzzer alarm and its battery are housed in a plastic container. If the two copper wires emerging from the top of the container are shorted the buzzer sounds loudly enough to get my attention. A microswitch with a long actuator is wired via bell wire across these contacts; pressing the actuator sounds the alarm.

In front is a piece of brass with a neodymium magnet cemented to it. The microswitch will be attached to the brass flag. Then it's just a matter of sticking the switch under the swarf tray so the actuator contacts the headstock early enough to trigger the buzzer hung somewhere near my ear via one of the hooked copper wires.

The switch can also be stuck to the lathe ways to announce other potentially dangerous positionings of the carriage.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 9, 2017 at 08:30 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 17, 2024), benkeller3 (Jan 16, 2017), DIYSwede (Sep 14, 2019), emu roo (Oct 29, 2021), Home-PC (Oct 29, 2021), olderdan (Jan 9, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 9, 2017), PJs (Jan 9, 2017), rlm98253 (Jan 21, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 16, 2017), Sleykin (Sep 15, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Ingenious as ever Marv,
    I always use stiff cardboard trays which are easily replaceable and will squash if things over travel, also easy to pick up and dump the swarf. I find the best source of said cardboard is beer boxes which also makes good templates if needed.
    I never throw anything away until I can think of no further use for it.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

dwbachor (Jan 21, 2018), Moby Duck (Jan 21, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 9, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Sep 13, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,644 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I use the aluminium cooking trays that some food comes packaged in. They collapse easily. I also use them under bench grinder wheels to catch the stuff not caught by the covers.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

high-side (Sep 15, 2019), Moby Duck (Jan 16, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 9, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Lathe Alarm to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    I have been thinking about making something just like this for my shaper. Long runs can lead your attention to move to other jobs... your design is perfect simple and movable to multiple machines. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Ingenious as ever Marv,
    I always use stiff cardboard trays which are easily replaceable and will squash if things over travel, also easy to pick up and dump the swarf. I find the best source of said cardboard is beer boxes which also makes good templates if needed.
    I never throw anything away until I can think of no further use for it.
    Well, immature and humdrum as it sounds, I get more cereal box cardboard than beer cartons. It is great tray stock, oh yes. Good pattern material and the thinnest variety is duck eggs for checking grinding wheel profiles, sharp corners in particular. Hold the bare [unprinted] face forward to direction of wheel. Inked side reduces the fuzzy resulting edge. If you clamp in a small vise to 'burn' the shape [kept steady], it's not bad at all against squares and radius gauges.
    And avoid spendy buys like optical comparators.
    BTW, the bags are great moving small parts around, not tearing as easily like sandwich bags. Sharp stuff will penetrate yet doesn't usually instigate rips. I keep one in the car for rain; good security for the cell phone. Another is combo raincoat-envelope for my ever present clipboard.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 13, 2019 at 10:03 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

DIYSwede (Sep 14, 2019), Moby Duck (Sep 15, 2019)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    I love the simplicity of the "place anywhere" magnet & micro-switch. I am seeing this for the first time! Wish I had seen this many years ago. Great idea and Thanks Marv.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    For other tool applications it may make sense to turn the tool off rather than buzz an alarm. If that's the case, build something like my remote controlled relay and power the tool through the relay.

Remotely controlled relay

Then wire the microswitch to the relay with light bell wire (there's only a tiny current through the microswitch) and let it turn the tool off when the event of interest occurs.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Saltfever (Feb 16, 2024)

Thread Information