Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement

Not exactly a homemade tool but adding a Gibraltar rotating handle (Enco part #319-7676) to the lathe cross slide control handle is a great improvement to the lathe operation. I thought adding the rotating handle with a ¼-20 threaded end was going to be an easy addition to my 12” swing geared-head lathe. I discovered the original handle was a press fit into a hole too large to accommodate the ¼-20 thread and the next larger size in Gibraltar handle with a larger thread is too big.

I solved the installation problem by enlarging the upper section of the hole in the cross slide control handle for a press fit 21/64” dia. homemade threaded insert. In addition, drilling a deeper concentric hole (but not a thru hole) into the control handle with a #7 drill allows taping another three full ¼-20 threads near the hole bottom. While the larger lathe awaited its improved cross slide handle, I used my smaller 3” swing Unimat SL lathe to machine the insert. The ¼-20 internally threaded insert is 0.225” deep x 0.329” dia. and made from stainless steel 303 rod. A combination of a press fit and Loctite 680 holds the insert in place and then using a bottom tap completed the bottom threads.

I plan to install two of the smaller 10-32 threaded Gibraltar rotating handles for the lathe compound control handle and will have to use the same technique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement-rotating-handle-lathe-cross-slide.jpg   Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement-original-non-rotating-cross-slide-handle.jpg   Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement-making-cross-slide-threaded-insert-unimat-sl.jpg   Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement-enlarging-hole-top-section-threaded-insert.jpg   Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement-threaded-stainless-steel-insert-installed-loctite-680.jpg  

Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement-tapping-bottom-original-section-cross-slide-handle.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Jun 20, 2015 at 10:46 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Jun 22, 2015), PJs (Jun 22, 2015)

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Nice job Paul ...

2000 Tool Plans
    Sorry my mistakes in english.
    to share your tip >>> http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tool-tips-tricks/ <<<

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 24, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,705 Times in 9,871 Posts
    Thanks for the tip, Paul. Bookmarking this one in case I run into fitment issues.

Al

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 24, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Lathe Cross Slide Handle Modification to our Lathe Accessories category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    I finally installed one of the smaller 10-32 threaded Gibraltar rotating handles for the lathe compound control handle and using the same technique. I kept the shorter original handle on the opposite side. The other handle was missing when I acquired the lathe. Using two different heights for the compound handles allows for fast movement with the long handle and more accurate and slower rotation with two handles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Cross Slide Handle Improvement-lathe-compound-handle-improvement.jpg  
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Apr 30, 2016 at 10:40 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

lazarus (Jun 3, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Not to hijack Paul's thread but allow me to add a note for future readers...

For those who wish to make their own rotating handles, I've found a simple method using a shoulder bolt. Choose a bolt with the required thread that has a shoulder long enough to make a reasonable handle. Make a cylinder of suitable material (I like brass) a touch longer than the un-threaded portion of the selected bolt. Drill/bore/ream this cylinder to a nice free-running fit on the shoulder of the bolt. Counterbore so the head of the bolt is hidden in end of the cylinder when inserted fully. Trim the length of the cylinder so that when the bolt is tightened down the cylinder is still able to turn freely.

The exterior surface of the cylinder can be shaped/milled/knurled/whatever to suit your artistic fancy.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

Thank you for the suggestion. The shoulder bolt technique is a very good way to make a rotating handle and saves some machining time. If the readers want to see an example, I published my home handles using shoulder bolts for my 3" swing Unimat at Homemade Rotating Handles . These work very well and provide a fine feel and feedback to the machining operation.

Thanks for the alternative method.

Pauk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Marv,

Thank you for the suggestion. The shoulder bolt technique is a very good way to make a rotating handle and saves some machining time. If the readers want to see an example, I published my home handles using shoulder bolts for my 3" swing Unimat at Homemade Rotating Handles . These work very well and provide a fine feel and feedback to the machining operation.

Thanks for the alternative method.
    My apologies, Paul. I should have known that anyone clever as you would have already thought of this approach. Had I known, I wouldn't have interrupted the thread.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

No apologies necessary because I always appreciate your insight and comments. Please continue whenever the opportunity arises. I like what you have to say and show.

The reason I didn't make my own handles for the larger lathe was because Enco had a fantastic sale and free shipping for the Gibraltar rotating handles. The handles were $8 each, and considering my time and also buying the shoulder bolt for the home made handles, it just wasn't worthwhile doing this again for the 12" lathe. I made the handles for the 3" Unimat because I wanted that machine to be more unique.

Thanks again,

Paul

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 7, 2016)

Thread Information