Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe Form Tool Spring Tool Holder

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Lathe Form Tool Spring Tool Holder

Heavy cuts and mini don't work well together. I made this little spring type tool holder based
    on pictures of them on the net. One big difference in this one is that there is full capacity
    of your cross slide when using this tool holder. It will mount right up flush with front of the QCTP.

It reduces or eliminates chatter when taking large cuts like is shown by the .250 groove shown in
    the demo picture below. Form tools with a radius work equally as well. The pdf file shows the dimensions.
    The 3/8 inch hole in the top is for a 3/8 inch roll pin. My pin was .385" in diameter so with the 3/8 hole
    it is a tight fit. I pressed it in with the vise.

This tool will accept tool bits in 3 orientations. In addition it can be installed on the right side or left side of the tool post.
    1/4 and 3/8 inch tool bits will fit in either the left or right side of the spring tool holder when the holder is mounted on the left or
    right side of the tool post. The front holder will take short and wide form tools. 1/4 inch tool bits will fit in the slot that is adjacent
    to the tool post but 3/8 bits will not fit there due to limited width of the slot.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Form Tool Spring Tool Holder-spring_1.jpg   Lathe Form Tool Spring Tool Holder-spring_2.jpg   Lathe Form Tool Spring Tool Holder-spring_3.jpg   Lathe Form Tool Spring Tool Holder-spring_4.jpg   Lathe Form Tool Spring Tool Holder-spring_5.jpg  

Lathe Form Tool Spring Tool Holder-springresult.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Apr 20, 2017), Paul Jones (Apr 22, 2017), rossbotics (Apr 24, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Lathe Form Tool Spring Holder to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 20, 2017)

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    So without expressing doubt I'm left wondering why and how a spring toolholder prevents chatter, compared to a solid rigid one? It seems counter intuitive. Any idea?
    Bony

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bony For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 20, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Hello Bony, well yes it is counter intuitive. It works due to the pivot point of the tool bit. With the spring tool holder the pivot point is raised above the cutting tool bit which allows the bit to actually rotate away from the work and relieve the tendency to chatter. It is not that this tool holder is chatter proof but it does reduce chatter and allows you to run at a higher speed or use a heavier tool cut like a wide form tool.

Tom Lipton has a great video showing one that he made for the QCTP and explains it very well.
    Here is the link to Tom's video:

Cheers, JR

I just added a short video clip of the tool on the mini lathe using a 1/4" form tool.

I tried this tool without the spring tool holder and
    got the deepest mess of chatter I have ever had on my mini.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by jjr2001; Apr 20, 2017 at 11:13 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 22, 2017)

Thread Information