Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP

When it comes to parting off a 2" diameter piece of hot rolled steel my little mini lathe likes to chatter a bit. I built a parting tool spring type holder similar to the ones I have seen on the net. This one is different. It will mount up flush with the QCTP block and you will not loose any cross slide travel. It is made for the smaller tool holders like the HESS 250-00x holders and mounts up fine on the mini lathe. Using a 5/32" by 1/2" blade it cuts like butter without chatter. Just a bit of noise but it is the best parting off I have had with this lathe in the last 2 years.

So you need some steel
    one block 1" x3.75" x 2"
    one plate 1/8" x 2" x 1.2"
    one 5/64" x 1/2" x 4.5" cutoff tool
    6- 8-32 button head screws
    3- 8-32 flat head screws
    1- 3/8" x 7/8" spring pin
    1- piece 1018 1/2" square

The outboard plate that clamps the cutoff tool works very well. I was concerned that it might allow the tool to move but it is rock solid.

Short video of the tool at work.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP-p_tool_band.jpg   Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP-p_tool_clamp.jpg   Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP-parting_2.jpg   Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP-parting1.jpg   Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP-img_1077.jpg  

Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP-img_1078.jpg   Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP-img_1079.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by jjr2001; Apr 21, 2017 at 07:24 AM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

asterix (Nov 10, 2022), C-Bag (Apr 20, 2017), Christophe Mineau (Jul 10, 2017), emu roo (Feb 18, 2022), garage nut (Jun 27, 2018), Jon (Feb 15, 2024), nova_robotics (Feb 18, 2022), olderdan (Apr 20, 2017), PJs (Jun 30, 2018), Ralphxyz (Feb 18, 2022), Ron 2 (Apr 29, 2017), Seedtick (Jul 10, 2017), whitebear (Jan 2, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Parting Tool Spring Type Holder to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 20, 2017), olderdan (Apr 20, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Nice work JR
    This certainly reduces the tendency for the tool to dig in and grab any backlash in feed screws.
    Have you thought about achieving the same result with a rear tool post, both approaches will allow the tool to move away from the work under cutting forces. I use tipped inserts in my parting tool and have parted of 3 inch blanks with auto feed on occasions in my SB, it has plain bearings and is one of the few times I think it may help with less vibration.
    Thanks for posting. Lathe Parting Tool Spring Type Tool Holder For QCTP-imgp0328.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 20, 2017)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Hi Dan, Thanks for the tip on the rear mounted tool for parting off. I have seen that method on the net
    and it looks like a good idea. I was torn between that fix and the spring tool. Thought the spring tool
    would be a bit easier to do since my cross slide is pretty small. Either way both methods have merits.

Cheers, JR

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    I had never bumped into this and did a search because you said JR you'd seen it else where. Looking at it I had an inkling, but I wanted to make sure. What an interesting fix. Just out of curiosity did you try it without the spring pin, just the hole? For whatever reason I can't get that it really does add "spring".

My lathe does indeed put up a chatter when trying to part off. Soon as I can figure out where I can get a chunk of steel like that this is going on the must make pile.

Thanks for the plans, parts list and pix, good job.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 20, 2017)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Hi C-Bag, I have seen similar types on eBay usually under the brand Williams, Atlas, or Armstrong.
    They are from the old days when lantern tool post ruled. Tom Lipton of Oxtools has one he made
    years ago and explained it like this. The pivot point is above the tool bit so the torquing force tends
    to move the tool bit, when under extreme load, away from the work instead of into the work like
    a normal tool setup.

In my testing I did use it without the roll pin and it was just too free and the tool bit seemed
    to jump around. The parting tool I was using chattered a lot when I used it in a standard
    tool holder but when I used it in the spring holder with the roll pin the chatter was gone.
    I could feed in and curl off chips quite well on the 2" blank I was testing it on. I have seen
    versions of this tool without the roll pin.

I suppose tool rigidity depend on the steel used. I just had a piece of hot rolled and
    found that the pin does make it work better. I could see an entire build of several of these trying out
    different diameter holes starting with say 1/4" and working up to find a sweet spot for the particular
    setup and lathe in use. The other thing in my version is the long "key" that can be adjusted in or out
    for different extensions toward the work being turned. This gives some latitude in setup and the
    ability to "tune" the tool in case harmonics start to give a problem. However the main reason for the long
    "key" is so the tool can be set flush with the forward face of the QCTP.

Ah, so many tools to build and so little time!

Cheers, JR

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Apr 20, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Apr 22, 2017)

Thanks
    Thank you JR,
    I have been wanting one of these and this is it.
    Jim

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 20, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Thanks JR, you rock. You went to all the places I was curious about.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 20, 2017)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks guys, please post a picture of your build, I look forward to seeing them.
    Cheers, JR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    My .01 cent worth, discount for cash. Hot rolled steel is fine. I'd venture the web of flex hole would fracture, but the roll pin distributes the load and absorbs the flex. I like the hole and profile aren't concentric.
    A back tool post offers the backlash advantage, saves toolholder space and changes, can be set close to the material to save cranking the crosslide, and chips fall out of the cut.
    Just keep the gravity switch on.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Apr 22, 2017)

Thread Information