Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: lathe restoration

Thanks

Lathe COMESA restoration

Best regard
    I have been working with this lathe for many days and I hope you like how you are staying to work with him.

In the photos you can see the state in which it was and now how it is, basically dismantled the cross carriage, the paint was removed and the polisher was passed to remove the hammering of the metal that I'm told comes from the factory and of course It looks very professional someone painted it and although it looks medium well I do not think that its finish is the best, for this reason I preferred to remove the paint from some parts and leave it in the metal exposed which gave a touch of personality.

In some places of the lathe was sanded and painted again with the painting that was more assimilated to the one he brings as I am told.

The truth is a lot of work for a single person and more than my work in the company where I work does not leave me much time to dedicate and I am not mechanical engineer but if I understand something to disarm and assemble again and more pieces so heavy and without great complexity.

I have to do some other things but I will be commenting.
    Even does not appear who is the manufacturer of this, nor user manuals, nor cutting sheets and although it seems that is not the best lathe is bulky and massive and I think we can make magnificent pieces in it.

I'm waiting for your comments and suggestions.

I hope you like my humble work.

With appreciation from Colombia and I apologize for my bad English.

A brotherly embrace

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    good luck with the restoration!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    I Juan
    I myself have done restorations on milling machines, lathes, drill presses, and surface grinders just to mention a few, Allot of work goes into the restoration, especially if you do a complete restoration and not just surface cosmetics,
    Like ToolMaker51 said, the badge of the machine does not necessarily mean thats the manufacture, there is a web site that you might be able to get the manuals and documentation from, but of course you will have to pay for them, but give this place a shot and see if they can help you.

Lathes

Best Regards
    Doug Ross

Thanks
    Best regard

Thanks Doug.

I have found out a lot about my lathe and I have got the necessary information although I would love to have it out of this one.

I tell you that the lathe is Spanish and I made it a man who had some foundry and machining companies in Spain and as it was a society had some inconveniences with his partner and then he started to work alone, this manufacturing several lathes among them the one that I have And others that are not documented in the pages more important as the English page where there is almost everything in regards to machinery.

I already have it almost ready in the restoration but I do not want to work with your tool holder because I do not like to lose half a day changing a burin and I am in the process of making a tool of fast change or looking for who does it because I do not have milling machine and the truth here In Colombia this is a challenge one for the costs and the other because those who do these jobs are like Gods and do things when they feel like it.

So I bought the lathe to do my things because I invented tools and things that intrigue me or my children.

Now I'm looking for a milling machine and I see some very good in the US but the costs are still not within my reach and beyond that sending is expensive and here in my country it's just for millionaires.
    I appreciate all your help and if you could help me with my work I would thank you from the bottom of my heart.

A brotherly embrace from Colombia

Please excuse my English is bad and I use the google translate.

With love

Juan Alberto

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    And I again, Juan; good morning.
    The Lathes.uk site is certainly far beyond just 'lathes'; being UK where lathes held by avid Model Engineers must number in thousands, is just a blanket title. I enter that site for history lessons, detective work, and general reading frequently.
    In keeping with that, I Googled.com "Comesa Lathes" for images and there is 4-5 jpegs of one from an auction, on risers, apparently quite a lot like yours.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pola...=comesa+lathe+

As I suspected, certain features stand out. The arrangement of gear shift handles in the headstock, and clutch lever in the foot post couldn't be any other design, regardless how it is 'badged'. The fact it is clutched, to me, signifies a pretty sophisticated and stout machine, even if economically designed to meet a certain price.
    And that is a common aspect. Those designed to meet industry requirements first, where price is secondary or even not regarded, usually are excellent machine tools.
    Those where 'market share' is a goal simply and rarely have what it takes to meet industrial use. Where I work, 2 Clausings head up the good lathes. The 4 large lathes are all Asian are just plain clumsy in use, and human engineering is worse than just an afterthought.
    When my favorite feature and measure of excellence vs. price is visible, ergonomics come high on the list. Poor ones are; flat handwheels, or too little clearance between hub and outer ring for my normal sized hands. Tail stock locks that interfere with quill levers or coolant risers, and fall down unlocked basically out of reach. Clumsy shifters for gears and feeds. Quill diameters barely larger than their taper size. Narrow carriage width across the wings. Any apron lever that is obscured by other controls, or too many that are multi-function.
    And its time for me to leave for work...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    I would be glad to help you with whatever you need,

Doug Ross

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information