Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lathe safety/stupidity accident video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

Lathe safety/stupidity accident video

A non-graphic lathe safety video originally featured on the excellent Safety Engineering Network.

This is in contrast to a previous video showing a worker accidentally pulled into a lathe.

Habit-wise, it also stands in contrast to another previous video we've featured showing a worker falling on a construction site. In that previous video, the worker was doing something we've likely all done before: climbing a ladder while carrying something. This video demonstrates something I've never seen, or even heard of, anyone doing before.

In this short video, entitled "I fought the lathe and the lathe won", nobody is seriously hurt. In fact this would be an excellent video to show to people first being introduced to working on a lathe. A young gentleman of questionable intellect, assisted by his similarly-challenged comrades, attempts a contest of strength against a lathe.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Mar 26, 2023), Scotsman Hosie (May 9, 2019), Seedtick (Dec 11, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    The ID10T that turned the lathe on...dunno probably should be somethinged, let a lone the maroon with the chuck key. Not sure if a Machine Safety training video could be produced that would stop Twiticizm. When I was a Safety officer I once caught the production manager standing on a roll around swivel chair changing an 8' florescent light in his office...whatcha gonna doż

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 9, 2019)

Thanks

Wink

Thankfully nature has a way of culling ones like that from 'the herd' to prevent less desirable traits/genes from being passed on to future generations.

Seedtick

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedtick For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 12, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I went to a trade/college prep high school and we had shockingly few injuries in the time I was there. I saw a few dumbbells get hurt, but with all of the spinning, sharp, flaming things we were exposed to, not one of us was killed. Some fairly serious injuries, yes, but far fewer than you might expect.

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Thanks for this video,
    A the time I was an apprentice, it was never possible for us to make such an idiot thing, first you can never stay without working when a professor was not with us at work or in school, they explain us that if we are not dead if we make such idiot thing, they kill us personally, now they think a lathe is a toy and as on the games you are never dead or injured…

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A few years ago there was a case where someone hired a worker to do some carpentry. That guy proceeded to use a table saw as part of the job. He used the saw with no guards, and the blade set at its maximum height, to rip some thin stock. He slipped and fell onto the blade and was severely injured. He then proceeded to sue everyone in sight. Instead of being kicked out of court and exposed for the idiot that he is, he was awarded a million dollars. Unfortunately nature doesn't always cull the idiots. Sometimes they are rewarded for their behavior and the rest of us pay the price. Even worse, they spawn, and vote.
    In the same vein, the internet gives too many fools a way to spread their stupidity. YouTube can be a great tool, but I've also seen a lot of dummies with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. If I were king there would be licensing tests that you would have to pass before you could proceed to that step. Like power tool usage tests, more stringent driving tests, and some kind of licensing to qualify for parenting, to name a few.
    Last edited by Pa1963; Dec 12, 2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Grammar

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pa1963 For This Useful Post:

bigtrev8xl (Dec 12, 2016), PJs (Dec 12, 2016), Scotty1 (Feb 11, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 17, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Sometimes they are rewarded for their behavior and the rest of us pay the price. Even worse, they spawn, and vote.
    Priceless! Thanks Made my Day! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Mar 6, 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa1963 View Post
    and some kind of licensing to qualify for parenting, to name a few.
    I'm you there

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bigtrev8xl For This Useful Post:

sacco1 (May 12, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    ¨A non-graphic lathe safety video¨

A video (or a picture) IS a graphic. It is what graphic means, media commenters nonwithstanding.

Among many such, another media-fed reversal of meaning is the now common use of ¨decimate¨. For centuries, the meaning of the Greek word was the equivalent of ¨diminish by 10%¨ - for example, to behead every tenth prisoner.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    In this case, term 'graphic' is a definition refering to gore, which this video hasn't.
    I'd invite any young buck tussle one green Pacemaker at left, in avatar. I'd even select lowest RPM, heck it's only 35. . .Graphic would be plenty evident then, compared with dinky little Victor or Jet.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information