Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe Speed Reducer

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools

Lathe Speed Reducer

Hello everyone.

This is 4th modification of my lathe (11 x 26, bigger brother of Grizzly G0602).

In order to have the lowest speed of around 100 RPM, which is acceptable for threading operations (at least for me), I decided to make new, bigger spindle pulley.

Bought a piece of aluminum round bar, dia 180 mm, length 70 mm and made new spindle pulley. As mentioned earlier I expected to get around 100 RPM but due to the fact that the lowest speed was wrongly declared as 125 RPM, I got the lowest speed of 116 RPM. Even that is much better than original lowest speed of 147 RPM which I had earlier with smaller pulley and which I have used for threading. Little bit too fast and scary but manageable.

Pictures are here just to show progress of pulley making. New and old pulley at picture 07 for comparison. A lot more about pulley making can be found at youtube. Observe amount of chips at picture 11. Picture was taken near the end of this job. Little bit more chips were there at the end, but picture was not taken.
    Also did not take pictures at the very beginning of pulley fabrication when bored
    40 mm hole with boring head. Before that I drilled 10 mm hole at distance of 20 mm from the center. That hole was used later for the keyhole.
    Found that picture and posted it below.

Hope that this info will help someone to find out what lowest speed can be expected by installing bigger spindle pulley.

LMMasterMariner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Speed Reducer-01.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-02.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-03.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-04.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-05.jpg  

Lathe Speed Reducer-06.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-07.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-08.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-09.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-10.jpg  

Lathe Speed Reducer-11.jpg   Lathe Speed Reducer-boring.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by LMMasterMariner; May 4, 2017 at 01:50 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 29, 2017), rossbotics (Apr 28, 2017), Seedtick (Apr 29, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks LMMasterMariner! We've added your Lathe Speed Reducer to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: LMMasterMariner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LMMasterMariner View Post
    Hello everyone.

This is 4th modification of my lathe (11 x 26, bigger brother of Grizzly G0602).

In order to have the lowest speed of around 100 RPM, which is acceptable for threading operations (at least for me), I decided to make new, bigger spindle pulley.

Bought a piece of aluminum round bar, dia 180 mm, length 70 mm and made new spindle pulley. As mentioned earlier I expected to get around 100 RPM but due to the fact that the lowest speed was wrongly declared as 125 RPM, I got the lowest speed of 116 RPM. Even that is much better than original lowest speed of 147 RPM which I had earlier with smaller pulley and which I have used for threading. Little bit too fast and scary but manageable.

Pictures are here just to show progress of pulley making. New and old pulley at picture 07 for comparison. A lot more about pulley making can be found at youtube. Observe amount of chips at picture 11. Picture was taken near the end of this job. Little bit more chips were there at the end, but picture was not taken.
    Also did not take pictures at the very beginning of pulley fabrication when bored
    40 mm hole with boring head. Before that I drilled 10 mm hole at distance of 20 mm from the center. That hole was used later for the keyhole.

Hope that this info will help someone to find out what lowest speed can be expected by installing bigger spindle pulley.

LMMasterMariner
    Great work!. I was thinking that same basic thing.but since l have two lathes l was going to just remachine the pulley and add a"ring" to it and a few screws to hold it firm,then add the groove. But that may be a chore with just one lathe unless you make a pulley first so you can use the lathe you just took the pulley off of. Keep up the great work!. I need to make a 5c Chuck for my 9x20...But I'm kinda dragging my lazy butt.

Thanks
    I need to also slow down my Bridgeport step pulley Mill a lot slower. I was thinking about a jackshaft to do it.nothing ever seems to be just right these days. Still got to make a reverser tumbler for that lathe too.....Crap I'm slo.....w
    Last edited by marksbug; Apr 29, 2017 at 03:54 PM.

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Regarding 5C Chuck, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy MT3 or MT4 - ER40 collet holder. This is on my shopping list this call China.
    MT3-ER40-M12 = USD 11.17
    MT4-ET40-M16 = USD 11.32
    at
    https://world.taobao.com/item/150325...cO6GjG9#detail
    and so many other taobao pages. Also ER 40 collets are 2.50 - 3.00 USD a piece.
    ER40 can hold the same diameter of work as 5C.
    I am also buying 5C collets and 5C square/hex block set now, but I think that it would be much easier
    to use MT3 - ER 40 than 5C collet closers....
    Best regards
    LMMM

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2017)

Thread Information