Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe tailstock bed clamp

Supporting Member threesixesinarow's Avatar
    Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools

Lathe tailstock bed clamp

This is how I clamp my 7x16 lathe tailstock. It’s similar to how it works on standard, lower price mini lathes, but with a permanent lever and a left hand thread instead of a hex nut and wrench.

This takes a little more room than the regular M10 nut, and where I could usually squeeze the open ended 17mm wrench underneath the top slide, now this often requires moving the carriage to clear the lever but it’s quicker to use and requires a little less attention. It was also easier to make than modifying things to add a cam lock mechanism, and is more compact than many of those.

It works pretty well, though a thinner flat lever would have better clearance than the round one I foolishly made to match other levers on the lathe.

I notice Stefan Gotteswinter added the same kind of clamp to his lathe several years earlier: youtu.be/n1ytS1lhVFg?t=25m25s l’m surprised it’s not more common.

The clamping plate and lower end of the stud of mine are threaded 3/8-16 right hand, and upper end and the lever are threaded 3/8-16 left hand. This way I could reuse the clamping plate, and makes it simple adjusting for the best handle position.

Side view showing the tailstock clamped in place, and end view showing top slide clearance:

Lathe tailstock bed clamp-tc01_sideview.jpg Lathe tailstock bed clamp-tc02_endview.jpg

Top view showing the lever in un-clamped, and clamped positions:

Lathe tailstock bed clamp-tc03_unclamped.jpg Lathe tailstock bed clamp-tc04_clamped.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

Doc (Jan 29, 2023), Paul Jones (Mar 25, 2019), rossbotics (Mar 22, 2019), Seedtick (Mar 22, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks threesixesinarow! We've added your Tailstock Bed Clamp to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: threesixesinarow's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information