Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lathe toolpost holder for Dremel flex shaft

Thanks

morsa's Tools

Lathe toolpost holder for Dremel flex shaft

There are lots of adapters for mounting the Dremel (or other high speed rotary tools) into the lathe toolpost (lathe tool post grinder), but very few for mounting the Dremel flex shaft; a nice example of these last is that by PJs (Dremel holder).

The holder I show here was made with a 1/2 x 20 nut (thread of the hand piece cap of the flex shaft), and a 6 mm square bar. Two segments, one short and one large, of the square bar are welded to the nut, so the upper face of the long segment is aligned with the center of the nut, and both with the center of the headstock, once mounted in the toolholder.

Lathe toolpost holder for Dremel flex shaft-dsc09724.jpg

Lathe toolpost holder for Dremel flex shaft-dsc09725.jpg

Lathe toolpost holder for Dremel flex shaft-dsc09732.jpg

Lathe toolpost holder for Dremel flex shaft-dsc09733.jpg

Regards, morsa.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by morsa; May 23, 2017 at 05:30 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 24, 2020), Hemi (Feb 17, 2018), Home-PC (Sep 7, 2022), Karl_H (Apr 23, 2020), mudnducs (Jan 22, 2018), Paul Jones (May 25, 2017), PJs (Feb 17, 2018), rlm98253 (May 24, 2017), Seedtick (May 24, 2017), Vyacheslav.Nevolya (May 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thank you for this interesting post. I often saw posts describing grinding accessories on a lathe and i am wondering if the discharge of abrasive particles is very
    good for the health of the lathe. Maybe a protection would be useful.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks, Mike_of_Clermont.
    Not only is convenient to protect the lathe ways, but is a must. In the picture shown the Dremel flex shaft and the point in the chuck are mounted just for demonstration. Of course, afterwards I've used this device (protecting the lathe ways), with good results.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 17, 2018)

Thanks
    Most machinists and hobbyists are loathe to grind on the lathe, with very good reason, like cleaning a lathe or other precision machine with compressed air. Even the thought of turning wood on a metal lathe feels wrong to me.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks morsa! We've added your Dremel Flex Shaft Holder to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: morsa's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks Morsa for the link to my site. I hadn't seen this until today as I've been out of pocket so to speak. Nice build and you are right about the dust protection being a must. I find I don't take off huge amounts so the dust isn't tremendous. If I'm doing a lot with it I have rigged a little hose support for my small shop vac with a small nozzle and especially if I do wood like my Scraper Handle. It's a bit noisy but very effective for the most part. It still requires a good cleaning afterwards though, which is par for me after any job. I also made my way covers for the Mini very early on from old place mats...but not sure what you could use on the Unimat other than a drop cloth of some kind. Paul would probably have some good ideas. Thanks Again! ~PJ

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 24, 2020), Jon (Feb 18, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 17, 2018)

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    morsa,
    Thanks for posting this! I too will be making this same attachment for my Unimat as well. I ALSO have the nut to make the same tool holder to hold the whole rotary machine from Dremel as well. ( I have 2 Unimats, and I got a Microlux 7X14 as well, which is probably where the whole Dremel rotary tool holder will be used.

My biggest issue right now is that I don't have a welder to weld the nut to a un-used tool bit, which I have to either find a welder, and or have someone I know with a welder weld it for me....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Morsa,

I like your ideas for the Dremel tool mounting on the Unimat. I also appreciate the link to PJs website/blog.

In regards to Hemi's dilemma about not having a welder, that can be easily solved. The nut and shaft can be joined with silver soldering the steel parts (I like this old technique because it is more an art than technology) or making solid piece from aluminum (or steel) and drilling/tapping the thread using a common drill press. Spindle nose on Dremel is either 3/4 x12 or 3/4 x 16 with the 3/4x 12 being the most common. Buying the HSS tap is the most expensive part of the whole assembling but the tap will last you a lifetime for other Dremel adaptation projects.

Regards,

Paul Jones

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    It's also easy to single point the 3/4-12 thread if you can find someone with a screw-cutting lathe.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

Great advice. I am sure the Microlux 7X14 owned by Hemi can swing at least a 3.4" long rectangular steel part and single point thread a 12 pitch thread part with the correct change gears. This would be a great way to learn the technique and with a few side shims could do this in a 3-Jaw chuck and no need for a 4-jaw chuck. The Microlux also has a faceplate and this may be a safer way to hold the part. That is how I originally learned how to do single point threading with a little experimentation.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Feb 18, 2018 at 09:14 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 18, 2018)

Thread Information