Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lathe "work truing" tool

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Thanks for the pic Ed, that one is a real hoot cant help laughing every time I look at it.
    Bichones are noisy little buggers but always entertaining.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Thanks Ed, now it is "starting" to sink in.

The item in the chuck has to have a flush finished face at 90° to the spindle, most of my work pieces do not have a flush face so I am still having trouble
    understanding.

Like you said I can see the workpiece is repositioned and no longer wobbles, and then olderdan's comment "Maybe useful also to mention re tightening the jaws after use." makes sense. The work piece would not be firmly chucked, I rely on firmly tightening the chuck to "true" the workpiece if the chuck is tight then the tool would not be able to reposition the workpiece so I think I am still missing something.

Thanks for the help.
    Ralph

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Tools such as these are handy for truing the work in both the cylindrical as well as the face plane this would be why the OP has a bearing on both ends 1 bearing would be used for truing the face as in the video while the other end when the tool is mounted in the tool post parallel to a cylinder would be used to lightly preposition the work in the chuck. You would never need to engage both bearings to the work at the same time
    Using a tool like this would be a time expedient way a truing the work without the need to set up a dial indicator
    As always re-tightening the chuck afterwards is a common practice using either method a truing tool or an indicator
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 30, 2018)

Thanks
    Glad you like it... I too have to chuckle every time I see it and if enlarged enough you can see that the mouth is open.... also that the pooch is wearing what appears to be a red Fireman's Helmet.

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    Thanks, I've got an upcoming project that begging for one of these!

Thanks
    A very handy addition to the lathe tools thanks for posting, simple effective like all good inventions.

Dick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    Yup, I watched it but did not see anything but the bearing rotating, what am I supposed to be seeing.

What does the tool do?

A few words and then the video might make sense.

Sorry but I am brand new to using a lathe.

I do not see where this would "true a lathe" it might indicate a lathe not being "true" or being true.

I do not understand a "trueing tool".

I can see how it might be used to indicate a tool post, if the tool post/tool holder was not perpendicular to the face of the
    test piece that would be obvious, but that is an indicator not a trueing tool.

Ralph
    When one installs work into a 4 Independent jaw chuck it typically is not "True to the Axis" of the Lathe.

The Jaws are only slightly touching the work. At the point the bearing Starts to touch the work, it will only touch @ one spot, gently tightening THAT jaw will move the piece in the opposite direction, NOW two sides will touch the bearing!

Countinuing that process UNTIL All sides of the work rotate the bearing. At that point it is "True to theLathe". Tighten all Jaws. THEN RECHECK!

That Recheck is like the carpenter's "Measure Twice Cut Once". Potential of moving a Jaw too Much is ~Frequent~ for Beginners, I know as I have been a Beginner for 25 years.

philip
    Last edited by philipUsesWood&Brass; Jul 4, 2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Edit in "Independent" edit out 3 of 3/4 too confusing. Three Jaw Chucks can use these, but a loose fit of the part FIRST!

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    "gently tightening THAT jaw"

We are talking about a 3 jaw chuck aren't we?

I see and understand and appreciate the function now, added to my to do list!!

Ralph

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    "gently tightening THAT jaw"

We are talking about a 3 jaw chuck aren't we?

I see and understand and appreciate the function now, added to my to do list!!

Ralph
    Ralph, I rewrote that to clarify. I Am MUCH Too Tired these days from tearin down my shop equipment & house to MOVE to another location.

Sorry for the confusion, it was all on me.

philip

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Well hey philip want to come over to my house and repair the termite and water rot on the entire perimeter of my 30' x 30' pool house?

I need to redo the sill plus 2' up around the entire building.

Ralph

Thread Information