Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lead cover for lathe bed

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 341 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Lead cover for lathe bed

Lead cover for lathe bed-956525a6-055c-4603-875f-0ee75252c080.jpg
    I know many of you will be appalled by the fact that I must keep my lathe outside, owing to shortage of space, although all the moving parts are stored under cover (in the bike shed).
    So the ways are greased below the lead cover, which is only removed in the spring, so that I can turn a few tool handles, which is virtually all that this is used for. I am in the habit of dumping stuff on top; originally the lead was flat, but now it is a gutter!

Lead cover for lathe bed-f1f755ae-460c-4a8f-b8b3-009c8b72097e.jpg

Thought you might like to see it set up for turning, although in this picture I have clamped a Disston saw vice to the blank, which is locked, as the light is good here and I can just run along the tenon saw shown. Before switching the motor on. The height is just right.

Sam’s post from yesterday prompted this contribution, since I also have made tool rests for this old lathe.

Lead cover for lathe bed-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	620.7 KB 
ID:	27584

But this is not the one in the second picture.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 20, 2019), PJs (Jan 24, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jan 24, 2019), suther51 (Jan 20, 2019)

Thanks
    I would like to thank you for the traditional trades type posts. Doing traditional wood working was how I started building things, we had a few and I could afford a few old tools. It is still close to my heart though I have mostly moved on to more mechanized tools. Thank you
    Eric

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jan 21, 2019), PJs (Jan 24, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Appalled you ask. Well the truth is if our situations are not on the same parallel we should not even consider dissing you for what you have to do.
    Oh sure it is nice to have ample room to store our equipment and have space to run it in a nice climatically controlled environment. But not all of us can. My own situation currently dictates that my machines are in trailers which are not hermetically sealed to the elements even if they were being made of steel they would sweat on the inside so at best I have to keep things oiled and greased with gunk or as with most of my much older machines leave the patina of surface rust on them to help prevent them from further degradation
    I like the lead cover though for several reasons not the least of which is lead is soft and will not mar the surface if something causes the cover to move around. It can be shaped tightly against the surfaces and if there is a coating of non corrosive substance between the lead and a machined surface this helps to prevent further damage due to exposure.
    Actually you have given me an idea I have a couple 36" wide rolls of roofers lead that I have been wondering what I might use it for other than melting it down to make ammo for some of my black powder weapons. I have another 500 lbs of lead I can use to make those
    Thanks for the post.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jan 21, 2019), PJs (Jan 24, 2019)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Thank you, Eric, for your kind remarks!

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Thank you Frank! Gosh, you have half a ton of lead as well as the roofing? You must need a lot of black powder!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 24, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Thank you Frank! Gosh, you have half a ton of lead as well as the roofing? You must need a lot of black powder!
    Why do you know where I can score a few tons of BP LOL
    No I have a 1/4 ton of lead plus the 2 50 lb rolls.
    The way I figure it lead may be more valuable than gold or silver one day. so I scarf on to every piece i find.
    Lead brass copper steel aluminum and cast iron tools machinery and equipment to me are my hedge against the next stock market crash the paper digital million and billionaires will be starving and committing suicide while I sit happy as a clam at high tide.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Tool Rest to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information