Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Leather creasing tool

Supporting Member frugalolegeezer's Avatar
    Thanks

frugalolegeezer's Tools

Leather creasing tool

I needed a creasing tool for some of my leather work and looking at the prices of purchasing a new one I decided to make my own. So with a few hours of work in the shop I came up with the tool pictured below. The creasing tool came out great and after trying it out on some scrap leather I am very satisfied with the results. I put a walnut handle on the tool and some antique finish on it after getting the sanding done. It is adjustable for setting the distance from the edge of the leather. Of course I had to make a leather sheath for it to protect to end of the tool from getting damaged.Leather creasing tool-leather-more-009.jpgLeather creasing tool-leather-more-010.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leather creasing tool-leather-more-011.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by frugalolegeezer; Aug 31, 2017 at 10:09 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frugalolegeezer For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 2, 2017), Seedtick (Sep 1, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks frugalolegeezer! We've added your Leather Creasing Tool to our Leathercraft category,
    as well as to your builder page: frugalolegeezer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    What steel did you use? Do you heat it for creasing? it looks like a good tool and you are right about prices for leather tools

Supporting Member frugalolegeezer's Avatar
    Thanks

frugalolegeezer's Tools
    The steel is just mild and it was a part of a Christmas tree stand bracket that was laying around the shop. I brazed it together and it is mortised into the two pieces of walnut handle epoxied together. I have not used it heated yet but did use it on some wet leather and it sure works good so far. I saw on one of the utube vids where some were heating theirs and will have to try that soon.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to frugalolegeezer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 2, 2017)

Thanks
    That's cool I've tried heated and on wet leather. I'm kinda torn on which I like best on veg tanned. On chrome ,heated is the only way to go

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Had to look up on YouTube what it was and how it's used. I don't remember using one back in the day with my summer job of doing leather for fairs. But that was 40yrs ago!

Good job. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you couldn't use a small thin roller instead of the blade? Seems it would glide over the work easier, but what do I know.......

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I know a guy who uses a pizza cutter to cut his leather and a dull one for creasing he says that screen door bead seating rollers work well for creasing lines or drawing tree trunks and branches. I've only done very little leather work and like C-bag that was 40 years ago about the only thing I remember about the craft was it was tediously boring tooling the same pattern over and over when making a belt or wallet I made the wife a saddle purse from a pre-cut kit. would have been cheaper in the long run to have bought her the stupid idiotic looking thing already made. leather craft and whittling are 2 crafts I simply am not ever going to have enough patience to persue. I admire those who can.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    screen door bead seating rollers work well for creasing lines or drawing tree trunks and branches.
    EXACTLY what was going through my mind(scary).

I still cut heavy chap leather for small pads and do it with a Olfa rotary cutter. Talk about wonderful, especially when new. Goes through that heavy leather like a hot knife through butter! Just thought about the same thing with the creaser as it would cut down on the drag.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information