Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leather leg bag

Thanks

rendoman's Tools

Leather leg bag

Hi all!
    I'm building a good leg bag, because I really like this kind of model.
    Purpose is to have a modular system, very strong, wheaterproof, with good load capacity in terms of weight and volume.
    I thought of building a sturdy belt as first step ,made from double layer of 3mm raw leather, glued and sewn. 6mm thick should be nice to wear and strong enough to keep loads.
    I'm thinking about 2 small belts for leg, one close to groin, and the second 15cm under.

Bag will be detachable according to the occurrence, +/- 25cm long, 20cm wide and 15cm deep, with dedicated pockets for wallet, phone, key - remote control, with zip and buckle, in order to avoid theft and losses.
    I will also made a separated pocket for multitool and allen tools, maybe a sheath for a knife and a new holster for semi auto pistol.

Today I started pasting the two sides of belt, 5cm width, Tomorrow I will trace hole pattern.
    I bought a couple of hollow punch bit to do the job, 1mm diameter, for sure the right tool! I mounted on bench drill, it's fast and accurate, with or without engine running.
    I will sew as usual with double needle and waxed twine.
    I was undecided on the buckle, I could build one, but it would take too long, so I decided to buy a good one, made in Italy, maybe made in zama , at least strong

Some picture of today

Leather leg bag-dsc01537_1600x1200.jpg Leather leg bag-dsc01538_1600x1200.jpg

Leather leg bag-dsc01539_1600x1200.jpg Leather leg bag-dsc01542_1600x1200.jpg

Leather leg bag-dsc01543_1600x1200.jpg Leather leg bag-dsc01544_1600x1200.jpg

Leather leg bag-dsc01545_1600x1200.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Stefano you certainly are an eclectic guy! Leg bag, hmmmm. What popped into my mind immediately was the infamous WWII US paratrooper leg bags as I've been watching Band of Brothers for the 3rd time. Which one, the old one or new one?

Brown Faux Leather Thigh Holster Bag | Hot Topic

wwII LEG BAG

I have a feeling you are talking about the first as the second isn't very stylish and paratroopers hated them. It makes me wonder what's going on in Italy it's certainly crazy here.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Nov 10, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Thanks!
    I've never seen the paratrooper leg bag unfortunately, but I will watch Band of brothers soon, I'm curious now

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/Milit...08.4.63.6PlYVQ

I got one of these poliester bag, they are so good imho, really practical in many situations, above all when I have to carry small tools, tester and other parts. More or less design will be similar, with some modifications, One good thing I want to change is the double lock on leg, like the third picture of this link

Leather leg holster bags | - Trashion Helsinki -

Italy... italian media are worried about Trump, They have exploited all in favor of Clinton. I don't know the situation in Us, but here every party opposed to euro and reception of immigrants at all costs is not taken into account. Moreover, our press is not free, unfortunately.
    earthquakes situation in central Italy is not good, some city destroyed, but for now at least North is good. As usual, poor building materials quality, mafia infiltration in every public contract, and global attitude to fool others with inferior products (at high price) is always on the agenda.

In california? it's all good?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rendoman View Post

In california? it's all good?
    LOL, not even close! There's protests and some riots, a lot like in 2k with that debacle. I guess it's the same everywhere, whatchagonnado? Every where you look is reason to be afraid. But when you start talking about carrying a weapon I get concerned for you. You are supposed to have a license to carry a weapon here. I hope we're not going back to the Wild West.

I'm surprised the interest in a leg bag over say a vest. I always think in terms of mobility(like can I run with this on?) and I personally wouldn't want something on one leg and straps seem more a hinderance. But that's just me.

I used to do leather work for a small company that did fairs. Wallets, belts, hats etc. one of the best things I got out of it was the use of a rotary cutter over a knife. Where a knife wants to bind and bunch, a rotary cutter goes through leather like butter. I know they seem like a joke, but believe me they are SHARP! I cut 1/8" thick what they call "chap leather" that is used for making motorcycle chaps( leather leggings) in 1/8" wide strips. Without the rotary cutter it would be impossible.

Olfa Rotary Cutter Ex-Large 60mm | Jo-Ann

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Nov 10, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    I was surprised too! the first time I used a leg belt it was strange, but after a couple of days it had become irreplaceable! The key, in my opinion is the position. With free arms, and objects in position (not like marsupium) you feel nice. Maybe it's not nice for running (as sport) but it's fine for normal work- motorbike sport activity.

Thanks for the link! I've never seen rotary cutter for leather! I will search next time in leather shop

I post some picture of this evening, I'm tracing holes, and positioning buckle

Leather leg bag-dsc01551_1600x1200.jpg Leather leg bag-dsc01552_1600x1200.jpg Leather leg bag-dsc01553_1600x1200.jpg

Diy strudel with custard, raisin, apples in shortbread. Very ugly to see but nice to eat!

Leather leg bag-dsc01547_1600x1200.jpg Leather leg bag-dsc01549_1600x1200.jpg Leather leg bag-dsc01550_1600x1200.jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Looking good. Another thing that set our leather good apart was we didn't sew anything, it was all riveted with brass rivets. I think that's was their downfall though as rivets never fail, where stitching does. I had one of our wallets for 30yrs and I'd still have it if I'd not lost it. You can't find riveted leather goods anywhere and I think that's the reason. They want you to buy a new one when the stitching fails. I've had several leather wallets and the stitching always dies. Rivets are easy, you already have the punch. Just need a set. And personally I like the look of rivets.

I don't think you'll find a rotary cutter in a leather store, but you'll find them in cloth and sewing stores. That's who mostly use them for cutting cloth cleanly. They are the best way to make long clean straight cuts.
    Last edited by C-Bag; Nov 11, 2016 at 08:31 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Nov 11, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Another vote for rotary cutters; I call them pizza cutters.

They're the perfect thing for cutting that openwork rubbery drawer-liner stuff - either the type used in kitchen drawers or the heavier gage stuff for tool chest drawers. They do a nice job on straight-line cuts on cork gasket material as well.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Nov 11, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Marv, do you sharpen your blades or toss them? I've looked at the different sharpeners and they all have their drawbacks. But like for the Olfa, when they are new they cut unbelievably good. But when they go dull it's very noticeable. They blades are not cheap either.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Marv, do you sharpen your blades or toss them? I've looked at the different sharpeners and they all have their drawbacks. But like for the Olfa, when they are new they cut unbelievably good. But when they go dull it's very noticeable. They blades are not cheap either.
    I simply replace them. I don't use the tool often enough that the cost of replacement blades is onerous.

Also, in my area, the Japanese dollar (and a half) store, Daiso, sells a smaller version. Smaller and more maneuverable than the Olfa, they go for $1.50.
    Last edited by mklotz; Nov 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    The original one I used was a Fiskars that was the small dia. They worked good, but for cutting thick stuff like backed foam padding we used in packing house equipment it was too small. It also turned out to be too small for clearing the jig guides I use for cutting narrow pieces of that chap leather. So the Olfa is the only way to go. I use it almost everyday for cutting leather, shipping labels, and for fabricating custom shipping boxes. My one attempt at sharpening them by hand was pretty much a disaster ending up kind of folding over the edge and making it useless. I've yet to try something I saw here on HMT where he used the back of a sanding belt as a strop.

The two main sharpeners for rotary blades on Amazon have very mixed reviews, like 5 stars and one star with very little between. I think it's mostly if someone is used to using machines or not, if that makes sense.

Thread Information