Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lindsay reprints

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Lindsay reprints

Saw this over on HSM...

Some of you may remember Lindsay Publications who published reprints of old time technical books. When they closed shop, Your Old Time Bookstore set up a web presence to sell off the last of the Lindsay stock.

https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/

YOTB has now decided to close down as of 30 June 2019.

If you're interested in such publications now is the time to shop.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Altair (May 28, 2019), baja (May 28, 2019), high-side (May 29, 2019), Inflight (May 27, 2019), Jon (May 28, 2019), JTC (May 30, 2019), Miloslav (May 27, 2019), neilbourjaily@gmail.com (May 27, 2019), Paul Jones (May 28, 2019), Rangi (May 27, 2019), Seedtick (Jun 1, 2019), Toolmaker51 (May 27, 2019), zarembak (Jun 1, 2019)

Thanks
    Marv,
    Good seeing you noting this. This was something that many of us remember and have used many of the books over the years
    Thank you.

Now my rant.
    Today with the technology we have all the library in the Lindsey arsonal could be sold as ebooks. They could continue to make money from it but the world we live in today is questionable.
    They will like all the others will be missed.
    Nelson

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by ncollar; May 27, 2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: needed touched up

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    Marv,
    Good seeing you noting this. This was something that many of us remember and have used many of the books over the years
    Thank you.

Now my rant.
    Today with the technology we have all the library in the Lindsey arsonal could be sold as ebooks. They could continue to make money from it but the world we live in today is questionable.
    They will like all the others will be missed.
    Nelson
    Well, any one of us could purchase the sets offered [of one each] at less than $500 USD; and proceed.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Almost everything in the Lindsay offerings can be found in free online archives of one sort or another. Most of the old time stuff Lindsay offered where all old public domain publications and can be found with a simple Google search of the author and title. Not every single one of course, but many, many of them.

That said, I loved the old Lindsay catalogs. I sent in a few bucks by mail to get my first one from the back of Popular Science or some similar magazine and always looked forward to getting them. Ordered my share of those books over the years.
    Last edited by clavius; May 28, 2019 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    clavius
    I have purchased my share of them also, some just to have for the read. There is nothing like a good book to sit and loose the hours and sometimes become a new adventure. I bought most the Gingery series on casting and enjoyed everyone and built several machine . Without the books I do not think I would have done any of them. It was a journey I learned a lot of good information from. I feel sorry for the generations that do not have any interest in this material. They do not teach it in schools anymore.
    Cheers.
    Nelson

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

clavius (May 29, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    clavius
    I have purchased my share of them also, some just to have for the read. There is nothing like a good book to sit and loose the hours and sometimes become a new adventure. I bought most the Gingery series on casting and enjoyed everyone and built several machine . Without the books I do not think I would have done any of them. It was a journey I learned a lot of good information from. I feel sorry for the generations that do not have any interest in this material. They do not teach it in schools anymore.
    Cheers.
    Nelson
    My youngest daughter just completed her 19th year of teaching in primary school I was talking to her a while back and her biggest complaint is that the school libraries have been reduced to little more than what she calls leftist propaganda literature. I said well Mudd you have your masters why not use it and run for principal then you might have a little more sway to get things done. She said that she still loves teaching the younger students hoping to instill some real life values in their minds before they venture into the higher grades. Then I reminded her that when I was in school our principals all taught several periods as well as carrying out the duties of admin, and even her high school superintendent was the girls PE coach. To this she informed me that in their school district you are either a teacher or a member of the establishment there is no possibility of duel roles. So I asked her why she even bothered to get her master's nothing but dead silence for a couple of minutes then the subject got changed.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 29, 2019)

Thanks
    clavius
    Cheers.
    Nelson
    I'm with you, there is something "special" about the tactile experience of holding a book in your hands and reading it. I read tons of stuff on my computer, but it's a distinctly different thing than holding and reading a book somehow. I guess the other side of that coin is that a web-connected computer now gives us near instant access to mountains of stuff we might never otherwise have access to.

I, too, bought a few of the Gingery machine books even though I never figured on trying to build a lathe. Just following along with the thought process he used for developing a machine that is more precise than most of the tools used to make it is interesting in and of itself.

I'm pretty sure the first book I got from Lindasy's was the Gingery casting book. That sort of info (casting metal on the "backyard hobbyist" scale, etc) was otherwise nearly impossible to come by then. Now I can go on line and find many dozens of sources of such information. So I guess it's a case the proverbial "double edged sword"

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by clavius; May 29, 2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling & grammer. Still learning how to type...

Thread Information