Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Little Swing Brake

Thanks

Strostkovy's Tools

Little Swing Brake

Here is the 3d model of a little swing brake I built. I will post some pictures of the actual unit tomorrow.
    Little Swing Brake-brake0.jpgLittle Swing Brake-brake3.jpg
    It is meant to be bolted to a table, and weighs 20-30 pounds, made from 1 1/2" angle iron, 1/4" plate, and some scraps of tubing. Each finger is 1" wide (made by cutting up a 1/2" x 1" bar and grinding to length by hand) and is held in by a 5/16" bolt. I will weld some of these in groups, just for convenience of alignment. This brake is capable of bending 2' of 16 gauge with a respectable radius. Also, no parts interfere with the metal, so you can push it all of the way through.

Little Swing Brake-brake2.jpg
    This picture shows construction and operation a bit better. The red section is a pipe welded offset to a rod to form a cam (in the actual build I ended up welding a nut in square tubing as the cam). When the cam rotates, it pushes the yellow assembly, which pushes the green tooling holder, forcing the blue fingers against the metal. A lever allows the operator to swing up the purple section to bend the metal.

If you want to change the fingers, release the red cam, and flip up the yellow assembly. This will allow you to flip up the green assembly, and access the teeth with ease.

In the actual build, I ended up welding nuts to all parts, so that I can just bolt them into the frame, so all moving parts can be removed. It took two days in the school shop, at about three hours a day. It can be made with only a welder, an angle grinder, and a drill (I had access to a CNC plasma cutter, which is why the ends are that shape, but rectangular should be just fine. I drilled the holes in a drill press because plasma cutters don't make nice holes and I didn't want a sloppy machine)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Strostkovy; Jul 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: I adverbed when I should've adjectived.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strostkovy For This Useful Post:

david s (Jul 15, 2019), Jon (Jul 7, 2016), Tuomas (Jul 4, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Nice desing. Thanks!

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Strostkovy (Jul 4, 2016)

Thanks

Strostkovy's Tools
    Here is the actual build. I haven't aligned the teeth yet because I am going to weld them into blocks of 8, 6, 4, 2, 2, 1, and 1
    Little Swing Brake-0704161106.jpg
    Little Swing Brake-0704161106a.jpg
    Little Swing Brake-0704161107.jpg
    The last one shows how the fingers can be flipped up for changing.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strostkovy For This Useful Post:

flyingsecret (Mar 4, 2018), lazarus (Jul 10, 2016), Paul Jones (Jul 6, 2016), PJs (Jul 19, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Strostkovy! We've added your Swing Brake to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Strostkovy's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

brianhw's Tools
    I really like this, Strostkovy, - Nice simple well thought out design. Here in the U.K. we would call this a 'Box & Pan' folder, which allows various clamping segments to be removed to permit folding of pans, etc., with side flanges. Can I ask what height side flanges can be accommodated with your design as it stands at the moment?

Thanks

Strostkovy's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by brianhw View Post
    I really like this, Strostkovy, - Nice simple well thought out design. Here in the U.K. we would call this a 'Box & Pan' folder, which allows various clamping segments to be removed to permit folding of pans, etc., with side flanges. Can I ask what height side flanges can be accommodated with your design as it stands at the moment?
    It can handle around a 3/4" side flange. Using 1" angle iron instead of 1 1/2" on the lower portion of the tool holder would allow for about an inch, without compromising how well the fingers are held.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Strostkovy For This Useful Post:

brianhw (Jul 6, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hi,

Nice brake design, will you be posting any measurements? Also what is the maximum thickness it can bend?

Thanks

Thanks

Strostkovy's Tools
    I think I'll make up some complete plans over the weekend, and I'll post them here. I have bent 24" of 16 ga, and it makes a nice bend. It may go thicker, but you have to really push down on the lever that holds down the fingers, and things start to flex. For short bends it should be okay though.

Thanks

Strostkovy's Tools
    The first part of the brake is to make two of something like this, out of 3/16" or 1/4" plate:
    Little Swing Brake-brake.jpg
    The curves on top don't matter at all, only the hole positions and the little kick in the front. I recommend drilling the holes, even if you have access to a CNC cutter as I did.

I would like to upload a dxf file with these so people can cut/trace the contour, but I don't know how; any help would be appreciated. I could probably rename it to a .png and tell people to save it as a .dxf, but somehow I don't think that would be appreciated by forum staff.

Anyhow, once those are made, cut 3 pieces of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" angle iron to 26". (This project takes about 15' total, so I'd recommend buying a full 20' stick)

Weld them like so:
    Little Swing Brake-brakes1.jpg
    Be sure to make the frame very square. Time spent here will save time in later steps.

Later I will post a picture with what you should have in front of you so far, along with the next steps.

EDIT: Here is a render of what you should end up with, I'll still have an actual picture later.
    Little Swing Brake-brake1p.png
    Last edited by Strostkovy; Jul 10, 2016 at 05:17 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strostkovy For This Useful Post:

flyingsecret (Mar 4, 2018), Paul Jones (Jul 19, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, looking forward to seeing more more steps and drawings. What diameter are the holes to drill?

As for uploading, I think you will need to use a 3rd party hosting service, maybe something such as https://www.dropbox.com/ ?

Maybe a forum moderator has a better idea.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to auswelder For This Useful Post:

pennswoodsed (Aug 17, 2016)

Thread Information