Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Locating A Corner on a Mill

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    Depending on the height I have my mill table cranked to I have always found it easy to locate the corner with either my knee, hip or elbow with very little difficulty
    Pretty easy to find all of the movement handles as well, especially in the dark

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your Corner Locating Method for a Mill to our
    Measuring and Marking
    category, as well as to your builder page: Rick's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    I suspect that I suffered in the same manner, always having a hard time in math class concentrating on what was being taught. Part of that was sitting next to with e window (it was always more interesting outside) and part due to abstract ideas with no relation associated with the real world. In a nut shell you combine a bad student with difficulty linking the abstract to the real and you have problems.

Recently I wanted to plot some holes on an archimedes spiral and spent some time relearning (or maybe learning stuff I never really got) a bit of math. What a reward though to actually get results you want after many false starts. While I've yet to apply this to the project I have in the shop, I did the math via a programming language Called Python and plotted the results immediately. I really think that, that plotting helped immensely with understanding the math and getting the right result. The visuals are very important in grasping some of this strange math.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I agree with Marv and Rick. Algebra and Trig are indispensable solutions for converting 'abstract' figures into factual articles. The problem many face stem once again, from removal of vocational electives from public schools. Theory and rote memorization never make the point of utility better than usage in real situations, reinforced by visual results. Math was my biggest adversary in classes, but a breeze in shop! With 45 years machining, and 26 navigating my attention is better than predictions indicated. My solutions tend along with Rick, using different means. I respect Marv's ability to illustrate sophisticated calculations, I'm restricted to smaller bites.
    I prefer trig overall for various solutions. I probably use algebraic techniques unknowingly, by reasoning out digits to work with over letters.
    But tell algebra this; quit asking us to find your X; she's long gone and not coming back!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    I really think that, that plotting helped immensely with understanding the math and getting the right result. The visuals are very important in grasping some of this strange math.
    That's probably why, after arithmetic, geometry is the oldest form of mathematics. It deals with relationships between objects that can be drawn and seen.

Unfortunately, when one gets a bit farther along in math, drawing a picture becomes very difficult. Consider the fact that many infinite series (sum of an infinite number of terms) have finite sums. How do you draw a picture to visualize that?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Another idea for a centering tool on every angle value.(it's a bad picture but I'm really not a graphist…)
    Locating A Corner on a Mill-centrage.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Have you tried this out? I'm not sure how it works.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    In order for it to work the angle to be measured must contact the edges of BOTH slots. A sufficiently obtuse angle will not do that, so I can't see it working on "every angle value". Also, very acute angles will penetrate too far and not contact both slot edges.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Sorry for my too shorter explanation, it goes on all angles but you need to have multiple widhts, it's not a single universal tool, but each time you need one and make it you can use it on different angles, and often i open more until it's no more usable.
    It is not an universal tool as described on the original post, just another way in the same manner to simplify the job.
    I try to make a short video for a better explanation.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Okapi; Aug 22, 2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: addition of informations

Thread Information