Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Low profile slitting saw arbor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Low profile slitting saw arbor

I needed a slitting saw arbor that could get very close to the surface so I put this together.

The kit consists of four pieces - the arbor, the "top hat", a suitably sized SHCS, and, of course, the slitting saw...

The arbor is turned down to fit into a 3/4" collet and has flats so, if the saw hangs up and overtightens the SHCS there's something to grab to keep it from turning while you reef on the screw. The hole in the business end of the arbor is bored to a nice sliding fit on the crown of the top hat. There's a small shoulder there which centers the saw. These shoulders are turned to match the seemingly endless sizes of saw holes out there. The saw blade is a carbide-tipped version sold for small woodworking panel saws. (Yeah, I hate the brown stuff too but these saws work well and seem more durable than the ordinary metal slitting saw.)

The crown of the top hat is drilled and bored so the SHCS can be inserted into it with no part of the screw head protruding...

Then the top hat is passed through the blade and the crown inserted into the hole in the arbor, the screw is tightened and you're ready to cut metal...

The brim of the top hat is only 0.080" thick so it's possible to get within 0.1" of the vise while sawing without a problem.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 6, 2017 at 08:10 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Al8236 (Oct 30, 2015), aphilipmarcou (Nov 10, 2017), C-Bag (Oct 29, 2015), Canyonman44 (Dec 19, 2019), Captainleeward (Nov 9, 2017), Carnel (Dec 20, 2019), dustydownunder (May 22, 2021), Hopefuldave (May 17, 2019), jere (Oct 31, 2015), Jon (Aug 29, 2015), kbalch (Aug 31, 2015), lavern s (Apr 9, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Nov 12, 2017), Paul Jones (Aug 29, 2015), PJs (Sep 2, 2015), Raytonian (Sep 15, 2021), steamingbill (Oct 29, 2015), Toolmaker51 (Nov 11, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanks mklotz! I've added your Low-Profile Slitting Saw Arbor to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

steamingbill's Tools
    Hey Marv,

Any known traps to look out for when using these carbide tipped wood blades ?

Am running mine - 3.5" diameter -at 200 rpm and it seems to work just fine on mild steel.

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by steamingbill View Post
    Hey Marv,

Any known traps to look out for when using these carbide tipped wood blades ?

Am running mine - 3.5" diameter -at 200 rpm and it seems to work just fine on mild steel.
    I haven't run into any "gotchas" yet so I can't offer anything to avoid. The fact that the blade tips make a kerf wider than the blade body means that the hangups so frequently witnessed with conventional slitting saws are naturally avoided. Your speed of 200 rpm works out to about 180 sfm which is a bit on the low side for steel but very reasonable.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Oct 29, 2015), Paul Jones (Oct 29, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv and Steamingbill, thank for your RPM information for the small carbide tipped blades. I am always amazed at what the larger 14" dia. steel cutoff saws can cut at 1300+ RPM and not self-destruct.

WNL

Thanks

HI MKlotz ,I had the same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I needed a slitting saw arbor that could get very close to the surface so I put this together.

The kit consists of four pieces - the arbor, the "top hat", a suitably sized SHCS, and, of course, the slitting saw...

The arbor is turned down to fit into a 3/4" collet and has flats so, if the saw hangs up and overtightens the SHCS there's something to grab to keep it from turning while you reef on the screw. The hole in the business end of the arbor is bored to a nice sliding fit on the crown of the top hat. There's a small shoulder there which centers the saw. These shoulders are turned to match the seemingly endless sizes of saw holes out there. The saw blade is a carbide-tipped version sold for small woodworking panel saws. (Yeah, I hate the brown stuff too but these saws work well and seem more durable than the ordinary metal slitting saw.)

The crown of the top hat is drilled and bored so the SHCS can be inserted into it with no part of the screw head protruding...

Then the top hat is passed through the blade and the crown inserted into the hole in the arbor, the screw is tightened and you're ready to cut metal...

The brim of the top hat is only 0.080" thick so it's possible to get within 0.1" of the vise while sawing without a problem.
    Low profile slitting saw arbor-20171109_205110%5B1%5D.jpgLow profile slitting saw arbor-20171109_205025%5B1%5D.jpg

Supporting Member
    Thanks

petertha's Tools
    Thanks Marv. I've seen a few of these saws used for metal work slitting now. Can you comment on the rake angle of the 'wood' saw blade vs. what would be normal for a metal cutting saw? Have you been using it in softer alloys like aluminum with no grabby issues? And mild steel seems to cut OK? Have you noticed any better tip run out? Seems like all my HSS slitting blades inevitably have a slightly eccentric contact even with very accurate center hole fit up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information