Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Machine dollie

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools

Machine dollie

I needed to be able to move a lathe in my garage and forklift had to lift it by swinging from forks unstead of getting under it. I made dollies out of scrap and was able to get it inside after power washing and cleaning it up after getting it home. I was able to buy it extremely cheap I think because it was almost unrecognizable under all the crud. Came out of a machine shop that really had no means to clean it like I did and it had probably had been written off years ago. I put all my heavy stuff in cradles to be able to move occasionally. I have never seen this machine run so I wanted to get it hooked up to see if it was going to join the family or get deported. Several years ago I built a rotary phase converter so I needed to get it close to power.
    I made the wheels low and used 1x1x1/8" to house long bolts made by welding all thread 5/8-11 all thread on one end and welding stop on the other end to clamp the wheels to the machine. Pics show what I did.
    I feel so bad that I did not make a video showing me cutting every piece and welding together but I am sure folks here will figure it out.

I really like seeing the projects from so many talented people here. I have also included other pics of machine cradles I have been using for several years. My motto is build it cheaply but safely and use what you have if possible.j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machine dollie-straight-1-.jpg   Machine dollie-under-lathe.jpg   Machine dollie-mill.jpg   Machine dollie-several.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stillldoinit For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 27, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 26, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Thanks stillldoinit! We've added your Machine Dolly to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: stillldoinit's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Good on you stilldoinit. I think most of us live by your motto.

I'm a real hoarder, but may have to move soon=scarey. Been culling for more than a couple of years & still giving away, burning, selling, dumping sorting etc. Most of my gear is on mobile stands so I can access each. My RAS is an exception due to sensitivity so I have to work around it. My third shed, a converted concrete water tank, is almost empty & my second one has a kind of walkway through. I have to toughen up (i guess) & move more on: beware --it becomes an obsession: I almost sold my Leigh jig & the bits I just bought because a buyer of another jig asked about it=I had not even used it once. Can almost understand sufferers of bulimia now.LOL. TRUE!

cheers
    cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The use of a dolly, on lighter weight machines, is far better than skates. Less jacking, lower CG, and correct dimensions make them 'fit' securely.
    This is another one I'll use.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information