Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture

This tool was made for the purpose of reproducing the manufactures original machine tool dials; it will also function as a dividing head for general dividing as well, what intrigued me to make this tool was that I needed new machine dials for a 1950’s surface grinder that I had previously restored and posted on homemadetools.net, the dials were almost unreadable, I knew this would be a very time consuming project (and it was!!) but that’s what this site is all about, there are companies out there that will make any dial of your design but they are very expensive, in the manufacturers factory they would roll the graduations and figures onto a blank, like knurling, or they would print it, etch it, Etc.

The main spindle is supported by 2-6208 shielded ball bearings, the worm crank is supported by 2–R-8 shielded bearings making its movement very smoothly, the spindle is bored for 5-C collets or it will accept a 3 jaw chuck or face plate with a 5-C adapter, it has a 40-1 gear ratio like most dividing heads have, I made a 20 hole dividing plate which will accommodate the most common divisions on a machine tool dial such as 50-100-200, other plates can be made to obtain other divisions to ones needs,

Everything including the gears and dividing plates were designed and made in the shop with aid of Auto Sketch, with the exception of purchased hardware items. It is a solid and rigid tool, it is very easy to setup and use, it uses standard 1/8” figures with a 5/16” square shank, and everything is totally adjustable to accommodate any size dial one wishes to make, the graduations were engraved on using a 1/4" round HSS tool bit ground to a 60° point, I have included multiple photos of the tools construction along with photos of making a new dial from scratch for my surface grinder, the dial I made has 100 divisions each division represents .0005”- one half a thousands, one revolution of the dial is .050”- 50 thousands.

There is a downloadable complete set of cad drawings with documentation and numerous photos on how to build this tool from scratch in your own shop; this would be a challenging project for anyone.

Click the link below to instantly purchase a set of these plans

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...-fixture-57783

As always
    Thanks for looking and happy machining
    Doug

Down below are some photos of the tools parts and construction along with a completed dial

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-1.jpg

Completed parts ready for assembly

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-2.jpg

Rear view

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-3.jpg

Front view

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-4.jpg

Side view

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-5.jpg

Side view

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-6.jpg

Locating the top of the dial blank

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-7.jpg

Locating the face of the dial blank

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-8.jpg

Engraving the graduations

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-9.jpg

Engraving completed

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-10.jpg

Stamping the figures

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-11.jpg

Complete dial

Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture-12.jpg

Installed on the surface grinder

Click the link below to instantly purchase a set of these plans

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...-fixture-57783

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by rossbotics; Feb 9, 2017 at 01:43 AM.

2. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Al8236 (Jan 7, 2017), AmateurMachinist (Apr 6, 2019), aphilipmarcou (Feb 8, 2017), benkeller3 (Jan 16, 2017), Bobinwa (Jan 6, 2017), bobs409 (Jan 16, 2017), C-Bag (Jan 3, 2017), Charron63 (Nov 30, 2017), Frank S (Jan 3, 2017), Gary A. Wills (Jan 30, 2018), high-side (Sep 24, 2019), Jon (Jan 5, 2017), LMMasterMariner (Feb 16, 2017), Lockstocknbarrel (Jan 24, 2021), mattthemuppet (Jan 5, 2017), Metallurg33 (Jul 1, 2022), mklotz (Jan 3, 2017), Moby Duck (Jan 7, 2017), mr95gst (Jan 16, 2017), Okapi (Dec 21, 2018), olderdan (Jan 5, 2017), old_toolmaker (Nov 5, 2021), Paul Jones (Jan 3, 2017), PJs (Jan 4, 2017), Ropetangler (Feb 13, 2017), Seedtick (Jan 6, 2017), Stirmind (Jan 16, 2017), Tonyg (Sep 19, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jan 3, 2017), ttmrj (May 28, 2022), Vyacheslav.Nevolya (Jan 6, 2017), Woodgeezr (Jan 7, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Very nice I particularly like the numbering punch fixture

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Doug,

Thank you for another example of outstanding toolmaker projects. I have been fascinated by the construction of high quality machine tool dials and your specialized tool design takes the cake. The figure stamping jig is the icing on the cake. I will be buying your plans when these become available.

Thank you for your posting and I wish you and your family a Happy New Year.

Regards, Paul

Supporting Member mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Thanks

mattthemuppet's Tools
    beautiful and useful

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations rossbotics - your Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

A clear standout winner this week. That's a rarity, and a difficult one to achieve here. Interestingly, we had three identification tools this week: a Thread Checking Caddy by Paul Jones, a Metal Identification Tool by mklotz, and Thread Gauges by rgsparber. Also a nice Screw Trimming Jig by bobs409, a Bullet Trap by frugalolgeezer, and a Leather Hatchet Handle by frugalolgeezer.

This is your 11th win; the most by any member. Here are all of your previous wins:

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Congrats again and nice job!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 6, 2017), rossbotics (Dec 1, 2017)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Brilliant job. It must have been easy to pick the tool of the week this week. A well deserved award.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks rossbotics! We've added your Dial Making Fixture to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: rossbotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Brian.Huff (Jan 17, 2017)

Thanks
    I'm not sure what is more beautiful, the finished Dial or the indexing tool that made it?
    Either way, damn nice work Sir!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Thank You
    for your compliment
    Bryan

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    This is currently our #1 most-thanked tool post, and the competition is tough around here.

Just a note that rossbotics has created extremely detailed plans for making this tool, with 26 technical drawings, 33 color photographs, and a 9-page PDF document including a Bill of Materials. Plans can be downloaded instantly for $10:

If you build this tool and post about it on this forum, you can get another set of rossbotics's plans for free.

Thread Information