Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: MAGNET LEVITATION EXPERIMENT

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools

MAGNET LEVITATION EXPERIMENT

I use a coil (450 r-0.5 mm) a hall sensor inside the coil and a mosfet as a switch for the current to the coil. The diode protects the mosfet from the back emf of the coil. A resistance controls the current to the base of the mosfet. The coil attracts the magnet , then when the supply stops the magnet begin to fall , the supply to the coil begin again and attracts the magnet again .This happens many times per second and the magnet seems to stay in the same place.
    I try to find a shematic for the opposite effect. The object that levitates to be up and the electromagnet to be down.I' ve seen a system of 4 coils and 2 hall sensor but I cannot find it's shematic .Doew anyone can help? Thank you. You can watch this experiment here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MAGNET LEVITATION EXPERIMENT-img_20180702_145805.jpg   MAGNET LEVITATION EXPERIMENT-img_20180625_155930.jpg   MAGNET LEVITATION EXPERIMENT-img_20180630_170423.jpg   MAGNET LEVITATION EXPERIMENT-img_20180630_170500.jpg   MAGNET LEVITATION EXPERIMENT-img_20180630_172423.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mariost; Apr 22, 2019 at 05:00 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariost For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 23, 2019), Seedtick (Apr 22, 2019)

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Ingenious use of the Hall sensor. Kind of the "Segway" of magnetic levitation, eh?

2000 Tool Plans

JTG
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    K and J Magnetics had a blog post a while back where they built the inverted setup with ratiometric sensors, but they didn't provide a detailed schematic. I get quite a few hits when searching for "repulsive electromagnetic levitation schematic," but there are about as many ways to go about doing it as there are people building them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JTG For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 27, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools
    I 've found two shematics but there are a few correctionts from other vewers so i am not so sure that they are right.

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mariost View Post
    I 've found two shematics but there are a few correctionts from other vewers so i am not so sure that they are right.
    I wonder if the circuitry commonly used for switching power supplies couldn't be used – or adapted – to work with that set up? (Just a thought.)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    You could easily feed the sensor into a small microcontroller like an LPC80x series or even an STM8 series. That would smooth out the detections and output a PWM signal to drive the coil. You'd have at least part of a PID loop in the processor.

You could also sense the location of a shiny object like a ball bearing with an infra-red photo beam. That would give you an analog position of the ball and make smooth control easier.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information