Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Magnetic V-block auxiliary vise jaw

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools

Magnetic V-block auxiliary vise jaw

I needed to thread the end of a 5/32" rod, and my vise just wouldn't hold it securely, so I made some V-blocks that attach to my vise with magnets.

I started with a 6" piece of 5/8" key stock, and cut a groove with a hacksaw along the long axis on two sides. I used a short piece of angle iron, and clamped the key stock onto the angle. Then I filed out the grooves with a square file, about 1/16h " deep on one side, and about 1/8" on the other.

Then I drilled some 5/16" holes on the other two sides to fit some rare earth magnets I had on hand, and bedded them with some epoxy.

Finally cut the stock in half to create two jaws. (I forgot to take pictures before doing this)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magnetic V-block auxiliary vise jaw-img_2610.jpg   Magnetic V-block auxiliary vise jaw-img_2604.jpg   Magnetic V-block auxiliary vise jaw-img_2606.jpg   Magnetic V-block auxiliary vise jaw-img_2607.jpg   Magnetic V-block auxiliary vise jaw-img_2608.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Dec 11, 2017), olderdan (Dec 11, 2017), Paul Jones (Dec 11, 2017), Seedtick (Dec 10, 2017)

Thanks
    Well done, Bruce. Too easily we put off a project "because we don't have the right tool" - usually implying the lack of some sophisticated machine tool. Your simple solution using only hand tools will put many to shame.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Papa Smurf For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Dec 11, 2017)

Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    Well done, Bruce. Too easily we put off a project "because we don't have the right tool" - usually implying the lack of some sophisticated machine tool. Your simple solution using only hand tools will put many to shame.
    Thanks! This was more of a 'necessity is the mother of invention' kind of deal. If I were to do these again, though I'd make them with 1/4" magnets, as the 5/16" really didn't work so well, the holes on the adjacent sides broke through, but JB Weld covers a multitude of sins I have to make all sorts of jigs like that first picture because I couldn't hacksaw a straight line if my life depended on it...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Do the magnets grow whiskers when you saw or grind ferrous materials held in the jaws?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Yeah, but they're easy enough to wipe off, so far, and they stay away from the groove and migrate to the magnets not stuck to the vise.

I store 'em in a little ziplock sandwich bag and they live on an electrical conduit that runs above my workbench along with my soft jaw set and my general purpose pickup magnet, which is an old hard drive magnet I have in a thicker ziplock. I leave that in and use it to run over the bench, then hold the bag over the wastebasket, open the ziplock and take the magnet out. All the little filings then fall down into the wastebasket.

That one only took me three or four decades of my life to figure out

The next time I need to use them for something ferrous I might try leaving them in the ziplock and see how that works.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Rather than the ziploc bags which I previously used on my magnetic pickup tools, I now use kitchen aluminum foil. The plastic bags wore through or tore too often. Aluminum foil is more durable and thin enough to not interfere with the magnetic field strength.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 14, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks bruce.desertrat! We've added your Magnetic V Block Vise Jaws to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: bruce.desertrat's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information