Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Magnifeye fishing hook threader - video

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Whaaat? Kimchi flavored Pringles...No emoji for what just happened...reverse Pavlov. Besides who only eats a few Pringles and saves the rest¿ I'm with TM51...real chips don't come in a can. Baked - potato mash, but salty...kimchi...no.

Pickle Plunger-upper, interesting and if a good one was developed it would be as Frank suggests. Fork works for me...that's why they call them Pickle forks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    The Pringles one still makes more sense to me, simply because of snack consumption volume. Chip retrieval occurs, what, 20 or 30 times per snacking episode? Hokey as it looks, I guess a dedicated tool isn't absurd here. And chips are delicate. And you can't really spear a chip.

The pickle thing is too weird. I like pickles. But (especially unsliced mini cucumber pickles) - pickles are a snack that people generally consume maybe 1-3 per episode? And they're durable too; you can fish around for a pickle in a jar without damaging anything.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019)

JTG
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I found some better images for the pickle/cornichon lifters. Looks like Amora, Maille, and Peter Piper's brands each have/had their own variations.

Magnifeye fishing hook threader - video-vintage-peter-pipers-pickle-jar_1_429fe633dcc8e077a86e217cb6ea5992.jpg

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JTG For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 28, 2018), PJs (Dec 28, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Dec 28, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    This is starting to make more sense when I consider something like pickle slices or olives. Similar generic Tupperware item:

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 28, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Dec 28, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The Pringles one still makes more sense to me, simply because of snack consumption volume. Chip retrieval occurs, what, 20 or 30 times per snacking episode? Hokey as it looks, I guess a dedicated tool isn't absurd here. And chips are delicate. And you can't really spear a chip.

The pickle thing is too weird. I like pickles. But (especially unsliced mini cucumber pickles) - pickles are a snack that people generally consume maybe 1-3 per episode? And they're durable too; you can fish around for a pickle in a jar without damaging anything.
    Understand about snack consumption volume...but hey I have to say the grand kids got me going on Goldfish...again. We get a bag at the grocery store once in a while (for Home use) and one for the grand kids. The home one lasts about 3 sittings over a movie or two. So my wife has been bugging me to just get the ginormous milk carton of them when we go to the store...It's Cheaper...Right! But I keep telling her, new pants cost a lot more and I have an agreement thing with my brother that if either one of us gets overhang...we put us out of our misery.

Now what we need is Grocers that don't crush the chips/cracker in a bag/box (Hence Pringles) and put them on the shelf packed so tight you have to crush more to get them out! I made a packer go get me a new bag after he squashed them in the bag he was packing after I hand picked one that wasn't crushed...actually got cheers from someone in line. Other concerns for the future is Packing your own grocery's when you by $200 worth or Grappling with the ghoulish "Self Checkout"...gas is bad enough. Let's see. I buy/bring my own bags, pay exorbitant prices for Dairy and meat, then load it on a conveyor to short not to stack them up and if by chance the checker isn't packing and the packers MIA as usual, the lines around the corner, - Oh I'll pack my $$$ own for you...how's that! At least the cold stuff will go in the cold bag...Getting to be an old fart I think. Another new tool/storage device would be the Bag Storage system so they don't get strewn all over the car willy nilly waiting for the spoils of wintertime war to infiltrate the food transport mechanisms.

As for the pickles device, I still don't see how you get it in the jar without removing the pickles first, other than the Peter Piper which appears to come with it. Me, I'm a Vlasic Kosher fan...one or two and I'm good for the day....baby sweets sometime scratch an itch once in a while also. I get it about fishing around and being able to lick the fingers after retrieval especially if a fork isn't readily available...or in a hurry. Haven't found pickles to match the ones from the "General Store" (90 years old) where my Gpa used to live in Illinois, but there was a Deli chain called Perry's around here that used to make their own, almost as good and a requisite accompaniment to their knock out homemade pastrami sandwich.

Oops, I spewed again...
    Last edited by PJs; Dec 28, 2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    PJs didn't you know that grocery sackers have to go to school to learn how to properly crush that bag of chips and to sack the bar of Zest in with your onions and bananas Yep had it happen this guy put a bag of onions in the sack then instead of waiting to put the bag of Jalapenos and habaneros in the same bag he put the bananas in with the onions then a 3 pack of Zest and a bar of Irish spring in that bag. Then had the audacity to become incredulous when I told him to go and bring me a fresh bag of onions and another bunch of bananas
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 28, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Dec 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    HAHA! Finally got ahead of you guys on something!
    Wait, I'm assuming a grand pose...a sweeping gesture, and tossing back a hearty guffaw.
    At 'Our' store, none of that stuff happens. I do market runs, list in hand. It's arranged in same order as aisles [learned that as a commissary customer]. At check out bottles and cans go on belt first, cold stuff, boxes, then veggies/ fruit, fragiles last. And bagger, simply the best ever!
    Me. At the chain from Europe. The conventional store only enjoys my presence for odd items, big box when I want it BIG!
    Haven't solved crumbled chips. I get the best luck with baked styles instead of fried, and far nicer ingredients. Main requirement; big enough to scoop and charge with hummus, salsa, or dip.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 28, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    I did a brief stint as a bagger first year in college and was Trained by the head cashier, Not to do those things...but that was back when we used cardboard flats, fruit crates, and or bags (customer preference)...and we carried them out for the customers. Good tips back then 25-50 cents...got $2 and a nice thank you once, because I opened the door for the lady after I put the groceries in the car.

If the guy put my soap in with the onions then gave me grief...Not sure but he may have been tasting soap as mom used to say, (nothing like the taste of Irish Spring in the afternoon or for removing enamel). I'm just a bit OCD ( Really) about the isles and loading the cart and conveyor as well so it's in some semblance of Order to make "Somebodies" job easier... Even so much as to put the scan codes easier for the cashier and bagging meat back to back so as to not waste bags and still read the codes both sides. But always, always Cherry Garcia is last on the list and first on the conveyor!
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    My wife gets aggravated at me sometimes the way I will load the cart but we go to teh grocery store so infrequently that by the time we reach the check out counter I would have fashioned side extensions out of cartons and bags of produce would be hanging from the handle and any other part I could tie a bag I always carry a supply of thermal bags with us for the frozen and cold items Get to the conveyor and begin arranging items like I would want them placed in the bags One time A checker lady exclaimed OH' MY' Gawd' then called for 2 more guys to help bag. AS I unload our cart the wife is directing them how to place the bags in the waiting carts plural 3 to be exact. Men while I am also carrying on a running conversation with the young checker who simply cannot believe these 2 senior citizens are not buying groceries for a restaurant of something. or planning a huge party. I finally get it though her head that we live over 70 miles from this particular grocery store and only drive to this town once every several months. That I had noticed several items we were running low on were on sale and these happened to be items that were way more expensive at the little local grocery we frequent near where we live.
    OK so I totally blew our food budget for the next 3 months but it would be 6 months to a year before we would need some of the stuff. I do things like that once in a while but the flip side is if we had a zombie Apocalypse we could feed ourselves and the zombies for a very long time.

There is never not something to make a few meals out of in our house
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    We are becoming obsessed with great stuff that soon becomes junk ( after a couple of uses) & will further clutter an already cluttered kitchen drawer.

OK for chipper monster or pickle nut, I guess.Sorry!

Thread Information