Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Magnifeye fishing hook threader - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,827 Times in 11,332 Posts

Magnifeye fishing hook threader - video

The Magnifeye hook threader, available at (duh!): HookThreader.com.

We've seen homemade tools of this genre before: essentially a one-man one-tool show with homemade everything, often down to the website and promo vids. These are generally clever ideas that are easy for our members to reproduce at home.

In this case, the one man is Australian Scott Molyneux, who assures us: "Try it, and you'll be hooked!".

1:17 video:

Previously:

Needle threading trick - GIF
    Houston man catches fish in living room - GIF
    Cleaning fish with pressure washer - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 11, 2018), PJs (Dec 11, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019), Seedtick (Dec 10, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Fishing must rank very high on the list of the most gadget-rich human activities. I wonder which would rank highest?

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 27, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I'm open to alternatives, but at this point I would have to vote for the triumvirate of food preparation tasks: cooking, baking, grilling.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 11, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I don't know, Jon; I think that Marv may be on to something there. Just take a look in any anglers tackle box some of which are so large that they have to have a trolley to move them around. better yet have a look in any 2 or 3 tackle units you will find such a widely varied assortment of gadgets you will wonder how they have time to fish.. When I used to be heavy into the fishing thing I has everything from a simple string and hook to a cane pole and line to spin cast bait cast fly reels open bail to a massive powered reel that would better be described as as winch than a fishing reel mounted on a 30 telescopic pole you had to lash it and yourself to the boat because if you hooked a 900 lb Amber jack or a swordfish you knew there was going to be a fight to the finish which would take hours.
    And that is just the hook line and sinker part of the activity
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 10, 2018 at 06:05 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I think if you add in eating/drinking to cooking/baking/grilling, then it can definitely beat out fishing for max gimmickry. Case in point: these "elevators" for retrieval of food in long jars. All these years, stupid me has just been tilting the jar!

The pickle one really confounds me. You can conceivably expect to finish an entire Pringles-esque can of potato chips (Kimchi flavor!) in a single sitting. But how do you get the pickle lifter in the jar in the first place? And then how do you get it out? Are you expected to finish the entire jar of pickles at once?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 28, 2018), PJs (Dec 28, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019), Seedtick (Dec 27, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I don't know Jon, Maybe the pickle lift is designed like a Japanese hand fan on a pivot goes down the inside of the jar straight then once it comes in contact with the curvature at the bottom it pivots 90° and unfolds like the solar array on a satellite and locks in place by a detent . Getting it out again would require twisting it 1 direction or the other to close the fan then continue turning until you overcame the detent as you are pulling it out of the jar.
    The Pringles thing would be similar except it probably would only have 1 articulation to the detent.
    Just a thought,LOL.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 27, 2018), PJs (Dec 28, 2018)

JTG
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ah, but that's the gimmick -- they start out in the jar/can already (see here for the pickles), and you recycle them once you're done. There are also 'aftermarket' chip lifters, but they don't need any articulation points as there's enough extra space in the can to just slide it past the chips and turn it 90°. They're conveniently sized such that you can unhook it from the edge and put the lid back on for storage.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JTG For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The pickle one really confounds me. You can conceivably expect to finish an entire Pringles-esque can of potato chips (Kimchi flavor!) in a single sitting. But how do you get the pickle lifter in the jar in the first place? And then how do you get it out? Are you expected to finish the entire jar of pickles at once?
    Can't be sure with the limited images... The pickle version looks like a flexible ring with a series of flaps on it. Once you remove a few pickles, you could work the ring inside the top of the jar, then push it down. The flaps would fold up and slide along the glass and you could work the ring and flaps down past the pickles. When you reach bottom, the flaps would tend to catch the pickles when you lift the hook, lifting most (if not all) of the pickles.

It also looks like if you remove the hook from the edge of the jar, the lifter will push down far enough to get the lid on without removing the lifter.

I would presume the pringles version works similarly...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Pickles?
    Slender or small necked jar?
    Fork or slotted spoon.
    Have a drawer full.

And decent chips aren't in a can.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Ah, but that's the gimmick -- they start out in the jar/can already (see here for the pickles), and you recycle them once you're done. There are also 'aftermarket' chip lifters, but they don't need any articulation points as there's enough extra space in the can to just slide it past the chips and turn it 90°. They're conveniently sized such that you can unhook it from the edge and put the lid back on for storage.

I liked my idea better could be used in types of food stuffs not just a throwaway thing once the jar of pickles was empty.
    As for the pringles the latest is to combine several artificial flavors together and make believe you have created a new flavor.
    I much prefer to simply dip my traditional original flavored ships of any brand in my hot sauce and be done with it.

Thread Information