Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Make a heavy duty screw driver out of Rebar

Thanks

xynudu's Tools

Make a heavy duty screw driver out of Rebar

You won't break this screw driver in a hurry. A simple metal lathe project for beginners.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xynudu For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 12, 2017), mudnducs (Jul 12, 2017), n9dug (Oct 9, 2019), Paul Jones (Jul 12, 2017), Seedtick (Jul 12, 2017), Sonomarin (Jul 12, 2017), sossol (Jul 12, 2017)

Thanks
    Very interesting--every time I have tried to turn rebar on the lathe using my regular cutting bits, the rebar wins--bit goes dull almost immediately, and if I want to accomplish anything I have to take the rebar to the bench grinder. Yet the photo looks like it turned as nicely as mild steel. Is there some secret here?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

xynudu's Tools
    I hear people say similar things, have similar trouble, but I think it comes down to using the right cutters and speed. It's just mild steel.

I used TCMT carbide at about 460 RPM and it came up quite OK.

I wouldn't recommend using HSS on the hard rolled outer section of Rebar as it will definitely take the edge off the cutter. As shown, Rebar can and will harden quite significantly.

This is carbide territory unless you anneal the bar.

The trick to getting a great finish at the end on any mild steel is to use a shear tool as seen in the video. Another video on my channel explains how to make one of these. That finish was also cut dry and at a higher speed than recommended for shear tools. I've never found it necessary to crawl along with these and lube requirement varies with the metal.

A shear tool can put a fine finish on just about any steel or aluminium you care to machine.

I suggest you play around with one - remember these can only be used for finishing, and only with very light pressure - or they will dig in.

Cheers Rob

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by xynudu; Jul 12, 2017 at 10:37 PM.

Thread Information