Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Make your own custom springs and measure them correctly

Threaded View

Thanks

flyforever's Tools

Make your own custom springs and measure them correctly

For my small hobby/business, I am constantly seeking ingenious methods and tools to cut costs and speed up my work. I work with small parts, so often solutions that work for large projects or parts do not necessarily apply to small parts.

I use small expansion springs, and the cost for one spring is prohibitive. Moreover, I prefer to experiment with different guage stock as well as lengths. This forced me to invest and invent my way to making springs at low cost and at any length I wish.

First, Mcmaster Carr sells spring coil by the foot and low cost, so the hard part is already done for me.
    Second, for the end loops, there's an expensive tool (https://www.amazon.com/Hook-Kon-Spri.../dp/B002PTVIY6) that makes making end loops so easy and enjoyable that they justifies the investment.
    It's a high quality tool, and after 5 years of constant use it works perfectly.
    The third part was always a bit tentative and problematic:
    how do you create a jig that allows for precise spring length, easy cutting, and can be used for any diameter spring?

I found my solution right in my shop:
    1. small earth magnets
    2. ABS sheet stock( .063)
    3. small machinists vise
    4. caliper
    5. my good, reliable wire cutter

The image pretty much explains how I do it. The ABS material is thinner than the spring stock, so I can use it as a movable stop right inside the vise. Its thickness also provides stiffness and plenty of magnet hold.
    I use 4 magnets, two on top and two behind the vise ,acting as very secure, easily pushed "clamps".

When I am ready to cut a dozen or so springs, I insert the abs guide with the magnets in the vise. I slide it until it touches the caliper's depth indicator. Depending on the wire cutter, you need to adjust for the additional stock that the wire cutter requires when you place it flush against the vise and over the spring. This becomes a constant number unless you change cutters all the time.

The beauty of this approach is that all of this can be done on the fly and requires only a few minutes. The result is that one can cut many springs quickly and of different diameter and lengths without the need for complex jigs. Moreover, I can tighten the vise on the spring so that there's no slippage when I cut it: the coil in the vise acts as a solid steel piece. I can apply the required pressure on the cutter and not have the spring slip or distort. To reduce the risk of spring distortion, the cutter sides must be kept flush with vise while you're cutting.

The accuracy in length is +/- .020, which in my case is one ring ( I use .023 spring material).

I have not tried using a hack saw, so I don't know whether you can use it on bigger springs. I suspect that a dremel might be more appropriate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring cutting.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	504.4 KB 
ID:	24467  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flyforever For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 22, 2018), olderdan (Jun 22, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jun 23, 2018), PJs (Jun 23, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 23, 2018)

Thread Information