Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Makerarm all-in-one robotic arm for 3D printing, engraving, pick-and-place, milling

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts

Makerarm all-in-one robotic arm for 3D printing, engraving, pick-and-place, milling

Makerarm is a sucessfully-funded Kickstarter project ($435,433) for a multi-function robotic arm that can perform a variety of functions: 3D printing, laser engraving, pick-and-place, light-duty milling, etc. Some of the functions are a bit excessive (cake decorating, gimme a break!), but what's interesting here is twofold: the convergence of multiple manufacturing machines into one device (analogous to smartphones replacing phone/clock/camera/etc.), and the availability of a Makerarm hardware development kit that people can use to make custom manufacturing heads (analogous to apps).

Kickstarter is a mixed bag; I don't believe Makerarm has yet delivered a single unit, but the trend is interesting to observe. Here's their 3:22 launch video, complete with an anthropomorphized Makerarm, explaining in a pleasant first-person voice that it can "help my humans make just about anything".

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Aug 14, 2017), Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2017)

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I find this interesting, thanks for sharing.

I can see where the 3D printing, laser engraving, pick and place, and similar operations could work quite well with this arm. I'm a bit more doubting of the milling/routering operations though.
    I went to their website, and it does not seem to give an indication on any shipping estimate. Has anyone actually ordered one and tried it? Any feedback?
    The cost isn't actually too bad, particularly if you compare it to larger framed 3D printers. So that alone might be enough to justify it, and the other operations are just bonus.

They make it look easy to operate, but I wonder just how easy, or hard, the programming and setup is.
    Thanks
    Kent

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information