Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Making bandsaw wheels

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    Way cool play-toy!

I'm a mixed-materials guy myslef, so I need high-speed for wood, mid-speed for plastics, and low-speed for metals.
    The high-speed is the problem - balance! They all Talk about balance in life!
    :-)

I wonder: can a motorcycle wheel be balanced? Like a car's wheel?

Charles

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesWaugh For This Useful Post:

j.bickley (Oct 11, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesWaugh View Post
    Way cool play-toy!

I wonder: can a motorcycle wheel be balanced? Like a car's wheel?

Charles
    Yes, of course. With older style wire spoked wheels it was usual to wrap lead wire (solder was often used) around a spoke at the light side of the wheel. You could also buy cast lead weights which you could clamp to a spoke.
    With cast wheels such as I used on the bandsaw, it is usual to use adhesive backed weight strips to stick on to the inside edge of the rim. Up until lead became poisonous these strips were lead now they are a substitute material with lower density and so you need more for the same effect.
    I checked the balance of the bandsaw wheels and they were both close enough not to be a concern at the metal cutting speeds that I use. I would have balanced them if I was running at wood cutting speed.
    Because these wheels are narrow you can use a simple static balance device to check the balance, no need for dynamic balance. Here is a picture which shows a typical balance device being used for racing wheels.

Making bandsaw wheels-dunlop-wheelbalance.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Here are some pix of my wheel balancer. The wheel axle sits on the two bearings each side, The bearings need to spin very freely so that means that they must have no seals, be very clean and lubricated with nothing or very thin oil if any. Dry ceramic bearings are the best for low friction.

Making bandsaw wheels-dsc_0531.jpg Making bandsaw wheels-dsc_0532.jpg

Some balancers have larger diameter "wheels" on the bearings, usually knife edged. These increase sensitivity, but you ought to use hardened axles if you use knife edges. Plain bearings as illustrated here are amply sensitive for wheel balancing.

This photo shows the weights on the wheel rim.

Making bandsaw wheels-dsc_0534.jpg

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Oct 14, 2018), Jon (Oct 11, 2018), sak778 (May 31, 2021)

Supporting Member Kwick Aronson's Avatar
    Thanks
    I picked this up at the Long Beach Swap Meet a decade or two ago. The guy was selling them for $63.00 with good bearings ($3.00 cheaper with standard bearings)

It came with a rod to true wheels & magnets to hold it. Also hose clamps to hold the rim for truing.
    And it is adjustable for different diameter axle ends.

Making bandsaw wheels-img_0591.jpg

Supporting Member Kwick Aronson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Second picture

Making bandsaw wheels-img_0592.jpg

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwick Aronson View Post
    I picked this up at the Long Beach Swap Meet a decade or two ago. The guy was selling them for $63.00 with good bearings ($3.00 cheaper with standard bearings)

It came with a rod to true wheels & magnets to hold it. Also hose clamps to hold the rim for truing.
    And it is adjustable for different diameter axle ends.
    The adjustable width between bearings is nice. I didn't do that, I made it wide enough to handle the widest tyres that I'd use. I am only interested in 3 axle sizes (15, 17 and 20mm) and I have dedicated axles of those sizes, so a fixed width is OK for me. I wanted to keep it as small as I could because I often take it to races.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Wheel Balancer to our Motorcycle Wheel and Tire category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

charles scozzari's Tools
    Very nice work. Please keep us up to date with your project.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by charles scozzari View Post
    Very nice work. Please keep us up to date with your project.
    If by project you mean the complete bandsaw then that was finished some years ago and there is a full description in this forum at Homemade vertical bandsaw.

and 5 youtube videos at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...LsTGSRpc2C6QOG

I have used bandsaws for well over 60 years and I have built two, one when I was a kid and this one as a geriatric. Now that that I have used it almost daily for the past few years I must say that is by far the nicest bandsaw that I have ever used. The care that I put into wheel alignment and squareness of other stuff has paid off handsomely.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for your many posts, Tony. I have your book from 1984 and reread it every decade or so.
    I made a 3-wheel bandsaw maybe 40 years ago, wanting a deep throat without huge wheels. The wheels are at the vertex and capitals of a big V made of large square section tubing. I never thought of using available wheels, but made mine from 3/4 inch plywood, about 12" diameter, with bearing housings machined from cast iron pipe floor flanges. The wheels were brush coated with thinned polyester resin after truing and crowning on their own bearings I glued bona fide saw wheel tires onto them using various adhesives, but the tires always came off. I think the high local loading and "squirm" of the tire material gradually ruptures the bond. I've never seen commercial bandsaw wheels without a recess for the tire, and suspect that may be necessary. Mine works fairly well running on the "hardened" wood, riding up the crown and only coming off when the blade jams or cuts too heavily. You could probably machine a groove in your body filler if needed.
    Mike

Thread Information